Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement

5 posters

Go down

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Empty Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 am

Morning to All,

I missed one day of watering, which started a few of the trees yellowing and dropping the yellowed leaves.

The Tamarind was one of them. So I have a chance to show you what I do, on a small and easily observable tree, as opposed to my large one.

Small tree -
As the bud's pop out, notice at the back a small bamboo stick, I select the ones to stay and as some are removed, more buds will pop out. This gives me at least twice the choice of potential branches.
Then I will clip the top as 1 leaf, middle as 2 leaves and the bottom as 3 leaves. This will further stimulate more buds and more leaves.
Ultimately, I end up with a lot more choices, in one yearly defoliation, and this negates having to defoliate a second time.

As usual fertilize 1 month before defoliation. In this case this tamarind is on it's autumn / winter nutricote fertilizer schedule.
Feel free to ask or comment yay or nay.
Khaimraj

Both trees are from seed - the big tree has a present trunk of 6 inches [ 15 mm ]
The little tree has the young cork furrowed bark, which later disappears and becomes smooth then to flaking bark.

The big tree -

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Scan12

You may have noted that my interest in tropicals is improving the density of branches / branchlets. I don't worry very much about the angles and twists, since the problem I have noted with many tropicals is not the shape but the lacking of top density.

I believe I have solved it through soil mix, sun and pruning technique. Which is why I am making new one tree stands. They are long, but narrow, and trees will stand all in a line. Front east, back west.

This shall be my next stage of development. Especially since many of these trees can be chopped down and will coppice very well.

Onto the small tree - also part of my research into Shohin and Mame' Tamamarinds.

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Tam1210

Defoliated

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Tam_de10

Close-up

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Tam_cl10

Later, how the buds have developed.

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Empty Re: Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement

Post  Jerry Meislik Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Khaimraj,
I like your Tamrinds. Your large one is especially nice and does look "tropical" - like a Samanea.
Thanks for posting it.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Empty Re: Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:42 am

As promised the buds becoming leaves.
Also to say goodbye until next year after repotting and a month of growing on.
Stay Well All, I return to lurking mode.
Khaimraj

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Tamari10

A close-up

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Tamari11
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Empty Tamarinds

Post  moyogijohn Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Really nice looking trees,,I Like the first one..Good work keep posting..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Tropical - Tamarind - branch placement  Empty Tropical-Tamarind-Branch Placement

Post  BethF Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 am

What a magnificent tamarind. Do share your ramification secrets. I've been challenged by a tamarind the past 6 years. Maybe South Carolina summers don't provide a growing season long enough for this degree of development. Here, you achieve something over the summer, then the tree drops its leaves when it has to go in for the winter.

BethF

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:59 am

Err, uummm BethF,

that's what the small tamarind process is supposed to show - how to ramify ----- ????????????

Thanks John,
Until.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:08 am

Hello Beth!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down