Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please identify tree species?

+3
bonsaisr
Reynald
ogie
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Please identify tree species? - Page 2 Empty Re: Please identify tree species?

Post  Russell Coker Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Alex,

I agree that what Fiona posted is very different from what you show us here, that's the problem! Fiona's picture is typical of the Mahonias available to us (in the non-tropical world) for landscaping. You said that your tree has yellow wood and sap. That's a good way to identify plants at are members of the barberry family that includes nandinas, mahonias and barberries to name a few. If your plant is indeed a Mahonia as Iris insists, it is unlike any Mahonia I've ever seen - both in leaf and growth structure. That certainly does not mean that it isn't possible!

I did google "Ilex philippinensis" and found this - http://www.asianplant.net/Aquifoliaceae/Ilex_cymosa.htm . I still don't think this is a holly (Ilex) for the reasons I've already stated, and certainly not I. philippinensis/cymosa.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Please identify tree species? - Page 2 Empty Re: Please identify tree species?

Post  ogie Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Russell,
Thanks for the link,totally diffrent,will try to research more at my end,much appreciate all your help

Regards,
Alex
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2