Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what species is this please help identify

+2
David Brunner
Randy
6 posters

Go down

what species is this please help identify Empty what species is this please help identify

Post  Randy Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:53 am

please help identify..is this good for bonsai??

what species is this please help identify Img_2016

here is the hedge of this plant.

what species is this please help identify Img_2020

Last edited by Randy on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:06 am; edited 2 times in total

Randy

Back to top Go down

what species is this please help identify Empty Re: what species is this please help identify

Post  David Brunner Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:37 am

Hello Randy - we would be delighted help if possible, but I see no image attached.

David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

what species is this please help identify Empty Re: what species is this please help identify

Post  fiona Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:29 am

If you haven't already seen it, this might help you post an image:

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t243-b-tutorial-on-posting-pics
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:06 am

Randy wrote:please help identify..is this good for bonsai??

...well it depends.. what you are doing to the Bonsai?

hi hi hihi hihiii

Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:29 am

Hello randy - I'm glad you got a picture up.  You plant looks similar to Murraya paniculata, Mock Orange, but the racemose inflorescence does't match well.  I'm sure it is in the same family, the Rutaceae.  But at present that is about as close as I can get.  Do you have pictures of it in flower?  If so that would be very helpful.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:15 am

It looks more like Durantha Sheenas Gold to me. Or a very unhappy Murraya ....But we need the flower to be sure.

Anyway both Murraya and Durantha are excellent bonsai material.

Love and Light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:36 pm

thank you guys, i'll get more data/pics. to make sure...here is the hedge please help ID again..
what species is this please help identify Img_2021

Randy

Back to top Go down

Post  Cockroach Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:43 am

It looks like a popular bush here in Taiwan called a Chinese Perfume Plant or Chinese Perfume Bush, Aglaia odorata.
[url=http://www.chinesebonsaigarden.com/chinese-perfume-bonsai-tree/]
http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchidtalk/jungle/20892-my-fragrant-hedge-4-aglaia-odorata-chinese-perfume-plant.html
http://www.blackoliveeastnursery.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80&products_id=23116&zenid=1b33b1de99bdb7ac5b712d3f7194d13c
Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Post  dave Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:05 am

Could it be a holly...just throwing it out there.... Burfordii Holly
dave
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:23 am

...no that is definately a Murraya. Right on David!
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:13 pm

Thanks very much guys for the enlightenment..cockroach nailed it..is it a good subject/material for bonsai?

Randy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Well I never.

I dont know the species ad all.

It does say that it resembles Murraya, on one tiny little website tucked away in the corner of the cloud..hihi

Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:05 pm

guys here is its taxonomy..it might be an interesting tree..

Chinese Perfume Bonsai Tree, scientific name Aglaia odorata, is native to China where it is classified as near threatened. This is a beautiful bushy tree that has similar characteristics to Orange Jasmine Tree. It produces yellow fragrant flowers that don’t open. They are shaped as grain of rise, hence one of the common names Chinese Rice Flower.
The flowers bloom few times a year producing very sweet lemony scent, hence the other common name Mock Lemon.
Chinese Perfume Bonsai Tree has also a medical use: orodine and ororinol obtained from this plant has cancer chemo preventative activity. It is an outstanding indoor bonsai that is very easy to grow.
Additional Information
Family: Meliaceae
Botanical name: Aglaia odorata
Common Name: Chinese Perfume, Chinese Rice Flower, Mock Lemon
Origin: China
Hardiness: I does best in the USDA Zone 10-11. Needs to be protected from freezing temperatures.
Light Requirements: It can grow in a full sun or partial shade.
Water Requirements: It likes moist well drained soil. Never allow the soil to dry out completely.
Propagation: Seeds, cuttings

Randy

Back to top Go down

Post  Cockroach Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:12 am

Randy wrote:Thanks very much guys for the enlightenment..cockroach nailed it..is it a good subject/material for bonsai?

It is often used for bonsai and landscape trees alike here. I have a hedge using these and a bonsai I have just started training. This tree is every where in Taiwan.
Quite hardy and likes lots of water. I have one in full sun and my hedge is in partial shade. It grows very well and gets a nice full canopy.
Be careful when bending branches as they are prone to snapping. Wire and bend when green before they harden. It does seem that scares are a bit harder to heal on these guys. Despite growing well, it does not seem to thicken up very quickly and may need some time and patience.

Found this on IBC: https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t10365-aglaia-odorata-twenty-years-in-pots
Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down