Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Rosemary Virtuals

+2
JimLewis
mbolos
6 posters

Go down

2 Rosemary Virtuals Empty 2 Rosemary Virtuals

Post  mbolos Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:04 pm

I would love your opinion on the 2 possible designs or whether a third would better suit this tree. (Sorry, I don't know how to make proper virtuals, so I just use microsoft publisher.)

2 Rosemary Virtuals 2010-111

2 Rosemary Virtuals Rosema10

mbolos

Back to top Go down

2 Rosemary Virtuals Empty Re: 2 Rosemary Virtuals

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:24 pm

the virtual is ok...at least you know what you want to do.

for the first illustration IMHO i think you would be needing extra branches from the mid section of the tree... it will be more of a chinese design, the second idea is more compact but you need to exposed lot of branches to come up with a tree like structure and not a shurb.
for the third design, your tree would fit well in the recently discussed in this forum-african design style(see some photos of the post). flat canopies, slim trunk with little taper and a good nebari.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, don't count your chickens before they've hatched. You haven't repotted this plant yet. I've tried Rosemary a good number of times, and it is repotting and root pruning that will do you in. They cannot stand having root work done. Period.

Never remove more than 10% of the roots at one time. Try to never remove a large root.

That said, Rosemary will look better in a columnar shape rather than a pointy-top shape.

Good luck.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Try a pine shape, but get the trunk a bit thicker first'.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  mbolos Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:23 pm

That said, Rosemary will look better in a columnar shape rather than a pointy-top shape. [/quote]

Jim, I've read quite a bit on rosemary and am definitely fearful of the first repot; I will not remove any roots. What do you mean by a "columnar" shape? What would that mean in regard to the foliage?

mbolos

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:11 pm

Think of a candle flame in a very still room.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mbolos Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:08 pm

In case anyone was curious, this was the route I ultimately decided for the Rosemary. I figured this way, I would have a long, bushy branch for cooking! Clearly, there's much more development to be done in the future. I might repot it soon, which is a scary prospect given the species.

2 Rosemary Virtuals 2011-011

mbolos

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Any updates?
Did you repot your rosemary?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Who said "you can't have your bonsai and eat it"??? Rolling Eyes

Look forward to seeing what came of this one as well. I think the choice of design was the best of those presented.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:37 pm

The first tree I killed was a Rosemary.

I repotted a clone from that original tree earlier this spring, bare rooted it and trimmed 25% of the roots, stuck it in Turface. The Tree has been mad at me all season and only put on about an inch of new growth. This is in a big terra-cotta pot mind you..I'm not going to Bonsai it, Still he just sat and grew new roots all season! If I had ANY advice for someone wanting to work with rosemary it would be 'just always slip pot it up to the next size pot', forget about the roots-dont touch em. GOOD LUCK Twisted Evil
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  mbolos Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:20 pm

My rosemary unfortunately met its end this past winter. While I was back home for winter vacation, I had a friend take care of my plants for a few weeks and she forgot I had the tree in my bedroom. Trying to keep bonsai while still in school and flying from Philadelphia to Chicago every break has cost me a few trees over the years, such is life.

mbolos

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Mmmmm.... yes.... that's life, that's bonsai.
But you will go on with the rest of your trees and get yourself some new for replacement of those that met their end Smile
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  mbolos Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Haha, Ευχαριστώ φίλε.

mbolos

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Μη μου πεις!!! Shocked
Nice to meet you here, compatriot! Very Happy

PS: Philadelpheia? The original? Or... the descendant? Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  mbolos Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:24 pm

My parents met in Tripoli. My father was born and raised in Nestani. I grew up in Chicago, which has a strong Greek community.

mbolos

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Everybody, excuse some more chat between two IBC members just introduced being from the same country... Thank you! Smile

mbolos wrote:... ...I grew up in Chicago, which has a strong Greek community.
Yes, I know. I have relatives there. In NY, too.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:50 am

Back on the rosemary now!
I will share with you what I have learned from some French co-bonsaists who cultivate "romarin".
- Repoting and the consequent minimal root pruning should never be done while the plant is in bloom. Because flowers emit some substance/hormone which promotes root growth.
- One should always have in front of one's eyes the final bonsai shape in order to wire/bend the branches while they are young. Once they begin to get some girth the wood is very brittle and nothing can be done to change the direction or placement.
- One should also keep a small amount of old soil in the core of rootball during the repoting procedure.

Last edited by my nellie on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down