Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restyling an old shimpaku

3 posters

Go down

Restyling an old shimpaku Empty Restyling an old shimpaku

Post  Mike Pollock Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:04 pm

The tree below is one I've had for sale on www.bonsaiforum.com. So far no takers.

Its an old imported tree, brought over from Japan in the early 80s. After many years of neglect I nursed it back to health and brought the growth back in towards the trunk. To make room on my benches, I'm trying to sell it. But this restyling idea has me reconsidering.

The virtual is what I may do to the tree if it doesn't sell in the next two weeks. Any other ideas from the group?

Current look...

Restyling an old shimpaku Shimpa10

and my first restyling idea...

Restyling an old shimpaku Shimpa11
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Restyling an old shimpaku Empty Re: Restyling an old shimpaku

Post  Ravi Kiran Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:44 am

Hi Mike,

Very nice tree but the first thing that struck me was the trunk girth. Guess it is a little thin. Considering this Bunjin would be a more suitable style for this tree. The fact that the trunk has got very nice movement also strengthens the Bunjin cause.

Your virtual is a good start but for the Bunjin to better manifest itself the tree should be further thinned of foliage. I am not too good at visuals but I guess you get the picture.

It is also very interesting to see that back in 1980 the Japanese and the rest of the world was not as obsessed with the girth of the trunk as much as people are today. Perhaps a 1:25 girth height ratio was indeed acceptable way back then. I guess in its current form the tree also makes a nice case of a NATURALIST Styled tree.

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Mike, this tree is a definate Bunjin candidate. Now the fun part; what to keep and what to prune away! Very Happy Beautiful tree by the way! Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down