Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unknown oak species

3 posters

Go down

Unknown oak species Empty Unknown oak species

Post  peewee1974 Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Sorry no picture but will give a good description. First I live in Kentucky at the area where the central part and eastern part, foothills, meet. This oak is typical for the area in size and shape. The bark is the same as on most common oaks, but the leaves are small, around 1.5 to 3 inches long(3.8 to 7.6 cm), it is three lobed and the acorns are produce single and attached to the bark. If any one could help I would great appriecate it.

Thank you
Joe
peewee1974
peewee1974

Back to top Go down

Unknown oak species Empty Re: Unknown oak species

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:29 am

Joe

Oaks can be very difficult to ID. They tend to cross pollinate. If it was on my property I would think it was a "scrub oak" or "sand live oak." I will look for a specific scientific name.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:36 am

Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Generally, if the leaf lobes are sharply pointed, it is a member of the red oak group. If lobes are rounded it is a white oak group member.

A picture would help. If you don't have a camera, lay a leaf or two on a flat-bed scanner, press hem flat with the lid and give us that. It's usually a better pic for an ID than one with a camera.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Unknown oak species Empty Thanks

Post  peewee1974 Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:13 am

Thanks for the help.
Finally found out what it was, Water Oak, a red oak that likes wet areas. Fun this tree is out of place in my neck of the woods, not suppose to be this far east in Kentucky.
Thanks again for the replies.
peewee1974
peewee1974

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:05 pm

If this is near your house, GET RID OF IT. Water oaks are notorious for rotting from the inside out, then falliing on buildings.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Unknown oak species Empty Home

Post  peewee1974 Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:19 pm

No it is not near my house just notice that it had small leaves for an oak in my area. Has anyone had success with them as bonsai?

Thanks for the replies.
Joe
peewee1974
peewee1974

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down