Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?)

+6
fofo
bonsaistud
Billy M. Rhodes
Khaimraj Seepersad
bonsaisr
KimchiMonger
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Empty Re: Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?)

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:23 pm

Every bright green leaf is a potential extension that has been pinched.
Khaimraj

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 New_gr12

[2]

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 New_gr13

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Empty The leaves at night

Post  KimchiMonger Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:49 am

The Texas Ebony previously (Pithecellobium flexicaule) now (Ebenopsis ebano)Fabaceae or Legume family.

The leaves folding at night...

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Texas_16
KimchiMonger
KimchiMonger

Back to top Go down

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Empty Re: Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?)

Post  KimchiMonger Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:56 am

Compared to the first photo taken day one, leaf growth has been great!

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Tx_ebo10

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Texas_10
KimchiMonger
KimchiMonger

Back to top Go down

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Empty hehe.....

Post  fofo Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

The two photos above are of Texas Ebony. One the entire very frustrating plant and the other a leaf detail. Note the typical Legume type compound leaf. The seed is also bean like. (none in photos)

fofo

Back to top Go down

Post  KimchiMonger Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:48 am

I recently ordered 50 Texas Ebony (Ebenopsis ebano) seeds and had a 62% success rate with all now 1 to 3 inches tall. I've chronicled photos and details of my method at a new site I created for Texas Ebony exclusively. I've also included photos of Texas Ebony provided by members of this and other forums with their name on photo and link back to these discussion forums incase someone would like to contact the contributors.

Within the pages I created are photos and information on Texas Ebony throughout the internet, Texas Ebony Bonsai, and growing your own from seed.

You can find the site at:

http://www.lovethatkimchi.com/Texas_Ebony/Texas_Ebony_Ebenopsis_ebano.html
KimchiMonger
KimchiMonger

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:22 am

KimchiMonger,
[wish I knew your real name ]

it does my heart good to see such passion for Bonsai, and for one tree. Excellent work.

*One problem though, [ I would have sent this PM, but I don't know if you would see it,] you have mixed up the Bucida spinosa of Billy's and mine in your - Texas Ebony Bonsai Tree Photos - section.

What's next ?
Take care.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:09 am

Two photos on your site under my name are not Texas Ebony. Only the second photo is Texas Ebony, the first and third are Budica spinosa.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  KimchiMonger Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:KimchiMonger,
[wish I knew your real name ]
it does my heart good to see such passion for Bonsai, and for one tree. Excellent work.
*One problem though, [ I would have sent this PM, but I don't know if you would see it,] you have mixed up the Bucida spinosa of Billy's and mine in your - Texas Ebony Bonsai Tree Photos - section.
Khaimraj

Howdy Billy and Khaimraj,

My real name is Randy Stewart.

Thanks for noticing that! I'm clearing those pics out today. Forward me any other information/photos you'd like to include and I'll certainly provide a link back to your site or e-mail address. I'd like to fatten the pages up with such little on the internet regarding this species as Bonsai.

KimchiMonger
KimchiMonger

Back to top Go down

Post  KimchiMonger Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Week 5 of growing Texas Ebony (Ebenopsis ebano) from seed. Lookin' good!

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Texas_12

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Texas_13

KimchiMonger
KimchiMonger

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Randy,

congrats on your healthy children.

Do you have any really old Texas Ebonys near you, or can get images ?
How long do they live for ?
Size of trunks of old trees ?

Very interesting.
Khaimraj

* I have a Texas persimmon in the grow trough as well - ha ha.
And a few Texas sage.
My sister is also a Texas anything groupie.
My dad went did his degree on Oil Drilling in Texas.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  KimchiMonger Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:42 am

Khaimraj Seepersad,

Believe it or not, I don't have Texas Ebony (Ebenopsis ebano) growing wild in my North Texas area! It's not a common species here or central Texas as it is predominantly found in deep South Texas about ten hours south of here. During the Rio Grande Valley winter freezes of '83 and '89, much of the species along with the citrus industry was heavily damaged or killed off. At the time I was a teenager and had no interest in gardening and much less the welfare of trees. Otherwise I would of been like a crazed lunatic trying to harvest and save them all.

Since then, the species has recovered greatly and I'll be continuing my own propagation efforts here in North Texas.

The tree grows up to 20-30' and lives 150-200 years.

KimchiMonger
KimchiMonger

Back to top Go down

Post  KimchiMonger Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:26 pm

The Texas Ebony (Ebenopsis ebano) seedlings are coming along well. Five seemed to of died off but before discarding them, I transplanted them into seed starter soil mix and two of them have new leaf growth - they might make it!

The other 30 are happy clams now enjoying real sun after being germinated and kept indoors November through end of March. Our winter brought temps in the low teens for a while with minimal sun. Unable to withstand much below 40 degrees, these were kept indoors by a large window as the only source of light.

The larger tree is the original 22" tall that was kept indoors all winter as well. Photo taken late February '11.

Texas Ebony (Ebenopsis ebano) at 4mos. follow the bigger tree.

Interesting how this species comes into the world complete with all characteristics of older trees with it's twice compound opposite attached leaflet pairs and thorns!

I've posted these and other photos at my site dedicated to Texas Ebony sp. here:

http://www.lovethatkimchi.com/Texas_Ebony/Texas_Ebony_Ebenopsis_ebano.html

Amazing nature and fun adventure.

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Texas_17 Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Texas_18 Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Texas_21 Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Texas_23

KimchiMonger
KimchiMonger

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Randy,

good to hear from you again.

Great news, on my birthday, I visited an out of the way plant nursery, and guess what they had thrown away in a corner -------- yup ----------- a Texas ebony!! cheers
No one knew where it came from, but I bought it and it is home in the grow trough.

Trying for a 3 to 4 inch trunk. Will keep you informed.
Khaimraj

p.s You are still showing in the movie photos my Bucida spinosa - ha ha ha
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  momcat66 Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:31 am

I'm curious how much your little ones off eBay have grown in the last year? I bought some about the same size about a month ago. I'm also in Texas btw, in Beaumont. Smile
I love the look of these trees! I also have some Texas sage and Silverado sage in the works.
momcat66
momcat66

Back to top Go down

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Empty Texas Ebony etc.

Post  bonsaisr Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:57 am

First of all, the botanical name for dwarf black olive has been changed to Bucida molineti. Don't shoot the messenger. No
The idea that sharply pointed grains of gravel promote root division is a myth. Root division is initiated at a molecular level and has nothing to do with the shape of the gravel. Actually, maximum air space and drainage are achieved by having soil particles as spherical as possible. Look at ball bearings.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  KimchiMonger Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:13 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Randy,
No one knew where it came from, but I bought it and it is home in the grow trough. Trying for a 3 to 4 inch trunk. Will keep you informed.
Khaimraj
p.s You are still showing in the movie photos my Bucida spinosa - ha ha ha

I've attached a couple of pics of the Ebay purchases and a couple of seedlings grown from seed here. This can be a little slow growing but it grows and shows with the lighter colored new leaf growth. A couple of these have reached the two foot height I was aiming for and now cropping back to encourage growth elsewhere.

Can you message me here with a link to the page where I'm still showing your Bucida spinosa in the wrong slideshow category? I have so much going on with online photos and archiving that I've lost track of that one you speak of. Thanks!

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Pithec12

<br>

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Pithec13

Randy Stewart

KimchiMonger
KimchiMonger

Back to top Go down

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Empty Update

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu May 31, 2012 10:18 am

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Texas_10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Empty My babies

Post  milehigh_7 Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:15 am

Just 13 days from seed collection. I am getting very near to 100% germination rate. cheers

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 100_0321

milehigh_7

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:42 am

Glad to find a post about the Texas ebony. It's the only tropical I have. Finds a nice place in my office during the winter.

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 am

Tx Ebony is a fantastic little plant, but won't really put on any girth at all unless allowed to run wild. There are some larger collected ones down with the Corpus Christi club and are on display when the state convention makes it way there (in fact, Johnny Uchida worked on a BIG collected one years ago as a demo). Here is my little Ebony, just a little larger than a Shohin.

Texas Ebony (Future styling suggestions?) - Page 2 Ebenop10
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  milehigh_7 Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 am

Dale Cochoy has some amazing ones in his collection that he is selling.

milehigh_7

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Jim,

you can post your tree to me anytime.
Thanks for showing.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2