Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grafting Ficus in the Fall?

+3
sulrich
Dustin Mann
Todd Ellis
7 posters

Go down

Grafting Ficus in the Fall? Empty Grafting Ficus in the Fall?

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:39 am

I have a Ficus microcarpa (Tiger bark) coming to me next week. From the pictures of it, I am thinking of cutting the top off and grafting foliage to it. I would like to use fresh cuttings from my Ficus benjamina 'too little'. I can wait until next Summer, but was wondering if I could do it now; hopefully with expectation of success. Does anyone have experience with grafting cuttings on ficus? Should I try approach grafting? Or, might I succeed with using cuttings and matching the cambium layers, tie them on, place plastic bags over them to keep them moist, etc.
Thank you for your help.
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Grafting Ficus in the Fall? Empty Re: Grafting Ficus in the Fall?

Post  Dustin Mann Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:47 am

Benjamina don't graft well. Tiger bark works with self(approach graft easily) They need heat(no nighttime lows) and moisture. I have never been successful grafting willowleaf or green island. The rest of microcarpa OK. if can provide the 2 above conditions. I would not be concerned with slightly lower light level on short term basis. Dustin Mann

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  sulrich Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:20 am

Hi,

Would you do that for the smaller leaf size? IMHO microcarpa has superior bonsai qualities, it's easier with back-budding and less prone to branch die-back, and the leaves also reduce quite a bit. I also once tried approach grafting TooLittle onto itself (due to back budding problems), it didn't take for 1 1/2 years and I gave up eventually (but then I'm living in a slightly colder climate too).

Best regards,
Stefan
sulrich
sulrich

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:18 pm

sulrich wrote:Hi,

Would you do that for the smaller leaf size? IMHO microcarpa has superior bonsai qualities, it's easier with back-budding and less prone to branch die-back, and the leaves also reduce quite a bit. I also once tried approach grafting TooLittle onto itself (due to back budding problems), it didn't take for 1 1/2 years and I gave up eventually (but then I'm living in a slightly colder climate too).

Best regards,
Stefan

I agree it doesn't make sense to graft Ficus Benjy onto a Ficus Microcarpa.
F. Microcarpa is a better bonsai subject.

You can graft as long as you keep it hot and moist (indoors up north may not be moist enough.)

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose O. Rivera Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 am

Todd Ellis wrote:I have a Ficus microcarpa (Tiger bark) coming to me next week. From the pictures of it, I am thinking of cutting the top off and grafting foliage to it. I would like to use fresh cuttings from my Ficus benjamina 'too little'. I can wait until next Summer, but was wondering if I could do it now; hopefully with expectation of success. Does anyone have experience with grafting cuttings on ficus? Should I try approach grafting? Or, might I succeed with using cuttings and matching the cambium layers, tie them on, place plastic bags over them to keep them moist, etc.
Thank you for your help.
Todd

Hi check this blog on my web page, maybe can help you.

http://josorl.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/3290715-ficus-green-emerald
http://josorl.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/2456576-bajando-altura-en-un-micro-carpa
http://josorl.webs.com/apps/blog/show/2446707-injerto-de-ramas-en-ficus
Jose O. Rivera
Jose O. Rivera

Back to top Go down

Post  sulrich Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:41 am

Hi Jose,

Thanks a lot for showing these techniques, they are really great! (Not sure though how long it would take in a northern climate to get the same results ... ;-)

Best regards,
Stefan
sulrich
sulrich

Back to top Go down

Post  Jose O. Rivera Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:14 am

Thank Sulrich

YOu have reason, i dont know how long take if yo have this techinique in your country, but really funtion on any ficus. You can do it. Wink
Jose O. Rivera
Jose O. Rivera

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaikc Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:39 am

Sulrich,
Such beautiful work! Thank you for showing the techniques so clearly!

Chris

edit: I hope you don't mind that I added a link to your blog from my website!
bonsaikc
bonsaikc

Back to top Go down

Post  sulrich Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:39 am

Hi,
bonsaikc wrote:Sulrich,
Such beautiful work! Thank you for showing the techniques so clearly!
that was Jose ;-)
sulrich
sulrich

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks Jose for the unbelievable links. Never thought that something like this was possible... Shocked

Thanks for sharing

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down