Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dale Cochoy pot

+6
darky
Will Heath
Paul Landis
Dale Cochoy
Rob Addonizio
mike page
10 posters

Go down

Dale Cochoy pot Empty Dale Cochoy pot

Post  mike page Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:44 am

Dale Cochoy pot Oak-1-16

This pot was custom made for me by Dale. The tree is a collected quercus agrifolia. Height is about 37 inches.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Dale Cochoy pot Empty Re: Dale Cochoy pot

Post  Rob Addonizio Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:06 pm

Mike,

That is a nice pot to go with you tree.

I really, really like your tree. It has beautiful movement, and the shari is very interesting. Cool

Thanks for sharing!

Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Rob
Thanks for your very kind words.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Mike,
I think they came out looking real nice together, and, a very nice photo !!
How about a 'scale' shot that I think will suprise a few folks!
Dale
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:18 pm

Dale Cochoy pot Potsca10

Dale, here's the scale shot.
I sent you a pm on bT as to why I decided to put the oak in the pot instead of the juniper. bT shut down shortly after that, so maybe you didn't get the message.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Looking good Mike!!

I didn't get the PM before BT went down. I thought that was a different tree than picture you sent me.

Here's a couple shots of final trimming on it and one of finished fired inside.

BTW, what a couple of handsome young men we are!! Rolling Eyes

Thanks again,

Dale

Dale Cochoy pot Mp_pot11

Dale Cochoy pot Mp_fin14
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Landis Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:01 am

Wow beautiful tree and a beautiful pot---what a great combination.
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Heath Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:04 am

It's bad enough I have to look at you two when I go to exhibits, but pictures on-line as well? Wink

Nice tree Mike and excellent pot Dale!

Mike, I think the moss distracts from the image, perhaps a more random scattering around the soil surface would look more natual....as it is, it draws the eye.

Will
Will Heath
Will Heath

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi Mike, wow... what a surprise when I saw the scale of the tree, only then did I fully appreciate Dales great pot... BIG! a truly nice pot/tree combination.

Dale, interesting how you do not single out 'feet' on the pot but use a 'rim' you must be confident that there will be no 'wobble' when the pot is finally fired Shocked

Will Heath wrote:It's bad enough I have to look at you two when I go to exhibits, but pictures on-line as well? Wink

I guess I need to come over the pond to add a bit of glamour king to your events... In the UK we put portraits like these in the window to keep away undesirables jocolor

Back to top Go down

Post  darky Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:10 pm

I too noticed the moss the way it is put around the trunk. If it were an Australian native I would say it is there to try and disguise the Lignotuber.
Which is so prevalent in quite a lot of our trees. The swelling of the trunk at soil base stops a lot of group plantings of our trees.
I do very much like the combination of these two pieces they match very well.
Well done both parties. Very Happy Darky
Ps Dale you are more than welcome at Aus Bonsai Smile

darky

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:11 pm

Tony,
We also use pictures like that here in the US to keep away undesirables ! But also dogs and guns! Smile
We are still allowed to have guns! Cool

Re: the feet.
I normally use 3 feet on round pots unless they are very rugged like this one ( for the reason you mention) . Then sometimes just a notch (or three) in the ring of literati/bunjin pots. This pot was a much bigger model of a smaller 8ish" pot I made that Mike sent me a picture of . He wanted one just like it but bigger for a juniper. That is what I did but I used a different clay which I like better for rustic pots. This pot has a very simple decoration. I think I have a close up I'll try to attach.
It's hard to tell in the picture but the foot drainage is comprised of three 1" notches around the rim which aren't very visible as the pot sits on a bench.
I think they go very well together.
Regards,
Dale

Dale Cochoy pot Mp_clo10
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Dale Cochoy pot Myrtle10

Here's another pot Dale made for me in 2007. Bonsai is a Myrtle. Height including pot about 38 inches.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:32 am

I love the 'earthy' feelings of Dale's pots and glazes. I also like the uniqueness of this crepe myrtle.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  TreeKiller64 Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:42 am

Well for #1 (if my opinion is of any worth)
I tire of the "always 2 YOUNG GUYS Thing" you guys are just as young as me Very Happy .
#2 (Mike, I think the moss distracts from the image, perhaps a more random scattering around the soil surface would look more natual....as it is, it draws the eye.) As to debate that opinion,,, I can say again(if my opinion is of any worth), but John Naka in his books did write that perhaps using a rock or in this case using Moss can hide or give the illusion of a nebari, hmmm well just me, Smile .
#3 Well Mr. Dale, I have been contemplating this for along time, ? Question? If I send you a picture or pictures of a few trees that I have can we work together to design a or many pots to fit those trees? I am one of some bonsai artists that think Pots are like Shoes,,, you want to get the right SHOES for the DRESS.
Let me know what you all think,
Sincerely,
KJ jocolor
TreeKiller64
TreeKiller64

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Killer,
Yes, I can do that. These two pots were made to Mikes specs. But, you are better off to TELL ME what you want or show me a picture. I need INSIDE measurements . Don't guess, measure.
Don't do it here. email me.
BTW, It's hard to tell in that last pic but that pot is an OVAL about 18 1/2" long and 5" deep as I recall.
D.
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  greerhw Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:39 am

I am curious what the darken dent is supposed to represent, it distracts my eye from the the tree.

Harry

greerhw

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:44 am

That's a scorch mark produced while firing. It is prized by some and dispised by others.
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down