Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seeds for planting this time of year.

3 posters

Go down

seeds for planting this time of year. Empty seeds for planting this time of year.

Post  styrax japonica Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:17 am

Are there any bonsai seeds that can be planted this time of year??
styrax japonica
styrax japonica

Back to top Go down

seeds for planting this time of year. Empty Re: seeds for planting this time of year.

Post  fiona Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 am

Hi Styrax (Please do tell us your proper forename - I feel like I am addressing a plastic cup when I call you styrax).

I have noticed you asking several questions in which you refer to "bonsai seed" and would like to make a comment on this term - which hopefully will address your question as well. I do not know what level of horticultural knowledge you have so I really hope I am not insulting you here - that is not the intention.

There is really no such thing as "bonsai seed". Just as a bonsai is a "normal" tree that has been miniaturised by the hand of Man and not a specific variety of dwarf tree, the seed we plant is normal tree seed. You are in essence growing a normal tree which you then at a later point, put through the process of making it into a bonsai. Therefore what you need to do is get yourself a decent plant encyclopedia (preferably one with a focus on trees rather than plants in general) and read up on the propagation of the species in which you are interested. There you will find the answers to most if not all of your questions and you will get the appropriate method and timings for growing from seed. You will also get some "short cut" information on things like growing from cuttings.

I would be suggesting to you that if you want quick and easy tree to grow from seed in this country, then try common Larch. I have planted seed that has grown into trees I can work on in about 3-5 years. BUT, these trees were for forest type plantings where thick trunks are not so important. Always remember that the thicker you want a tree , the longer you will have to wait. Also, in the UK, as a rule of thumb most tree seeds germinate in the spring irrespective of when you plant them unless you are growing under glass which in my book kinda spoils the fun and the naturalness of the whole process. A generalisation to an extent, but think of a tree in nature dropping its seed in autumn and then a shoot popping through the ground in spring. The books will tell you which species follow this pattern and which don't.

Which is not to say don't grow from seed. Kev and others have had good success with it (remember the Kevs of this world are good horticulturalists as well as good bonsaists) and it is immensely rewarding to say that your prizewinning bonsai was grown from seed. Just don't underestimate the length of time it takes.

Why don't you try growing your seeds but at the same time have some nursery/garden centre more advanced stock to work on while you wait for your seeds to grow big enough to work on.

The very best of luck. Hope this helped.

Decent books freely available in the UK would include:

The Hillier Garden Guide to Trees & Shrubs
Cassells Trees of Britain and Nthrn Europe
Roger Phillips Trees of Britain

and essentially, any decent field guide to trees of which there are legion.

Last edited by fiona on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

seeds for planting this time of year. Empty Re: seeds for planting this time of year.

Post  Guest Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Sty,

like what Fiona said, there is no such thing as bonsai seeds...except the seeds coming from the fruit of a fruiting bonsai tree. Smile Smile Smile .
if you are a beginner (just in case you are..) do try to get an establish tree from a nursery supply. its a lot easier to work on this trees rather than to wait for at least 2 years for a seed to have some semblance of a tree. it will save you time and the chances of survival for the tree is much higher.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:52 pm

Very soon will be the ideal time to "plant" all maple seeds. As soon as the seed wings turn brown you can strip them off the tree and put them in a potfull of a mix of gritty sand to overwinter. Protect from rodents and leave them outdoors as freezing helps break down dormancy inhibiting chemicals. The seeds will begin to germinate as soon as the weather begins to warm up in late feb or early march. You have to remember to tip them out onto the surface of a seed tray of compost.

As the others have said, you have to be prepared for a long to very long wait if you want to do any bonsai work with seedlings. Most of mine spend at least four years planted out in garden beds to thicken, some of them up to ten years. Not a problem for me as I have lots of collected material to work on in the interim.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down