Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

apple

+2
pootsie
laser beam
6 posters

Go down

apple Empty apple

Post  laser beam Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:18 pm

this is a collected crabapple. grows strong and seems to be very hardy. last year i left it outside all winter and it was fine. this year i have it in a much shallower pot. does the tree need extra protection? i am in the cincinnati area.

apple P1011610
apple P1010710
laser beam
laser beam

Back to top Go down

apple Empty Re: apple

Post  pootsie Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:30 pm

I can't say anything about crabapple, not having dealth with any.

But you should come up to Columbus for our show!

http://columbusbonsai.org/content/columbus-bonsai-society-show-moving-serve-you-better

http://columbusbonsai.org/sites/default/files/SHOW%20FLIER_0.pdf
pootsie
pootsie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Nagasaki Crab Apples are extremely hardy. I have two and both stay out all year round with no additional protection. Having so said they are both 12 months overdue a repot so will stand them on polystyrene and bubble wrap the pots to protect the root mass that runs round and round the edge of the pots.

Very hardy trees indeed. Here is a couple of mine that are getting on a bit now.

apple DSC02562

apple DSC02552-1

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  laser beam Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:25 pm

i know that mine is hardy because last winter it spent months with a thick layer of snow over the soil and when the snow finally melted, the tree had pushed roots out of its lower trunk into the snow! i just dont know exactly how hardy and i dont want it to die!

laser beam
laser beam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:41 am

Last year here in the UK it was cold. The apples had no extra protection...it went down to -11 which admittedly was only for a couple of days, seeing daytime on that occasion stay at -1. There were many-many nights of -3 to -6 with corresponding days teetering around freezing.

Wrapping the pot is always an option as it say using a greenhouse or similar. In any event I have never had to give additional protection to this species.

You may be colder than we of course. It is when it is into minus in the daytime as well as night that can cause the problems.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Very nice trees. Pretty flowers, good trunks and bases. I would like to see less of a pointy top on both of them, though. Apple trees don't grow that way, generally.

apple Appl10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:03 pm

I'm from S.E. PA and as you know we got hammered by snow. I have an inclosed porch (non-insulated) that also acts as fairly good greenhouse. On the worst days I'll bring them in where the temp. stays fairly consistent around freezing and at times less. I have two Nagasaki Crabapples and like the others have stated, they're tough, as are most crabapples, although I don't want them to get pummeled.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:39 pm

Many thanks Jim.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

apple Empty update

Post  laser beam Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:32 pm

[img]apple P1020210[/img]
here is an update of this tree. i might plan on making it a little shorter in the future. what do you think? probably a different pot too...
laser beam
laser beam

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:12 pm

You could reduce the height, but its current height it makes a fine penjing; will only get better with more ramification! It has great movement. Has it bloomed for you yet? I have one which is approx 10-12 years old and it hasn't bloomed yet Very Happy
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down