Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

any ideas for ground cover junipers?

5 posters

Go down

any ideas for ground cover junipers? Empty any ideas for ground cover junipers?

Post  Neil Jaeger Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:45 pm

both junipers were going to be thrown away at work. maybe cascade the junipers. i dont know what to do with them cause they grew as ground cover. has anybody used these type of junipers for bonsai before?

any ideas for ground cover junipers? Yankee26
any ideas for ground cover junipers? Yankee27
any ideas for ground cover junipers? Yankee25
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

any ideas for ground cover junipers? Empty Re: any ideas for ground cover junipers?

Post  chris Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi Sublime
Two nice trees, they will make good projects, how long have they been dug?
Feed but dont over water
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

any ideas for ground cover junipers? Empty Re: any ideas for ground cover junipers?

Post  Neil Jaeger Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:08 pm

about 2 months. any ideas for food. check out these hemlocks i found also.
any ideas for ground cover junipers? Yankee32
any ideas for ground cover junipers? Yankee33
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:03 pm

The type of food will make little difference at this time maybe a seaweed based or a slow release or just pile on the chicken pellets, great stuff but you get a lot of weed growth.
Hemlocks can make stunning Bonsai, dont be afraid to cut back hard unless your allowing the growth for trunk diameter.
Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:42 pm

im sorry im stilll very new to this. what will cutting back hard do? promote new growth, more branches? and how far do i cut? thank you so much for your time.
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Ricky Keaton Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:48 am

it seems to me that most nice bonsai are left to grow in the ground for years to make a good bonsai,
and it also seems that the masterpieces are picked from hundreds of trees they have in their nursery,
you sound like me and the way i get my trees from places that are goin to discard them from their landscape,
so we get what is handed to us, not from hundreds of great models we have access to.
so dont get ur hopes up to have what you see here cos this stuff is amazing.
they know what it takes and have the material to do so.
by looking at ur stock which is a lot of what i have (small with little nebari) i am goin to put most of them in the ground. i have made a raised garden area this summer to plant them in this fall. so hang tuff and keep asking for info. ppl keep sayn to read alot and i do but still helps to have direct questions answered. bonsai clubs wd be a great help too.
Ricky Keaton
Ricky Keaton

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:04 am

i hear what your saying, and i know what i have wont be a award winning bonsai.(well maybe if i live to be 100 Laughing ). i have a wonderful nursery near me (mennies) to buy some great stuff, its just money i dont have right now. so im just "playing" with what i have and learning as much as i can so when the day comes that i can buy a nice piece i wont kill it or when i look at it ill know exactly what ill do with it. i have a great bonsai club im in. its the buffalo bonsai society, and next week we are going to hollow creek (great website) for the day with a demo. ive only been into bonsai for about 2 years. i got an tropical umbrella from a friend when my father passed away. ever since ive read every book and looked at every website that i could. i think there is a point where you can look at to much info and feel over come. i plan to only buy 1 more bonsai and i want a beautiful pine, like a scots or five needle. thanks for keeping me grounded.

neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Ricky Keaton Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:12 am

no sweat and congrads on ur new bride the marriage thingy is a lot harder then bonsai haha, ive been married for 34 years and only bonsai for 14. and cant get either of them perfect : )
Ricky Keaton
Ricky Keaton

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:13 pm

On the Junipers, I would wait at, at least, twelve months before doing anything. But, they do lend themselves to cascades.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:31 pm

i was wondering is it all the snow and ice that makes them grow so low around NY? cause when i was in virginia i noticed alot of junipers (little ones in the wild) growing straight up. also i bought some holly-tone food to feed these boys.
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:07 pm

sublime716 wrote:i was wondering is it all the snow and ice that makes them grow so low around NY? cause when i was in virginia i noticed alot of junipers (little ones in the wild) growing straight up. also i bought some holly-tone food to feed these boys.

Different junipers have different growth habits- some upright trees, some bushes others sprawling along the ground.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down