Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers.

5 posters

Go down

Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers. Empty Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers.

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:10 pm

I airlayered some trees this year, made the layers at the end of May through the first week in June. I have three layers on a tall gingko, three on a styrax, one on a plum and some layers on Japanese maples: Osakazuki and Ukigumo.
I checked the progress today and discovered very few roots growing. I have never over Wintered airlayered trees and would like some advice on how to protect the layers. I am hoping that they can be insulated somehow. I know they will freeze, but is this all right? Has anyone had success letting their airlayers freeze ... with them resuming growth the next year? Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions! Salut, Todd Question

Gingko
Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers. Aug_1010
Styrax
Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers. Aug_1011
Plum and Ukigumo Maple
Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers. Aug_1012
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers. Empty Re: Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers.

Post  Seth Ellwood Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:11 pm

I would reccomend putting them in the garage for winter to help keep them from freezing.Ginkos are bad about roots bursting from being frozen they have a LOT of water retention in their roots so they need to be kept from freezing or it may end up killing the tree/layers.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers. Empty Re: Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers.

Post  JimLewis Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Moving them to the garage or other protected, but unheated, area would be best.

Have you gotten roots on all of your layers? In my experience, layers on Prunus sp. fail as often as they take.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:00 pm

There seem to be quite a few on the Prunus. I may be able to cut it off next month. Very Happy
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:37 pm

I would advise against air layering one above the other, as you have on the Ginko at least, it often leads to failure. There is a sound horticultural reason for this, but having been out at an 80th bithday party all day, I'm probably not the best person to fill in all the details. Wink

There is still time for sufficient roots to form. Keep them in a sunny spot and make sure they don't dry out. If they are still insufficiently rooted by the end of October, protect them with a couple of layers of bubble wrap and they should be fine. You may need to recut the cambium if it has formed a bridge over the gap by next spring.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Seth Ellwood wrote:I would reccomend putting them in the garage for winter to help keep them from freezing.Ginkos are bad about roots bursting from being frozen they have a LOT of water retention in their roots so they need to be kept from freezing or it may end up killing the tree/layers.

That's what happened to the only ginkgo layer I've done: in the spring, I discovered that the roots had formed, but were rotten. Yet, the base of the layer was swollen, so I cut the rotten roots to the living tissues, planted it in a growing mix and put it in my garage. Several weeks later, no leaves had formed, I removed the layer and saw it didn't form new roots.

I then put it in my garden, thinking there's one chance out of a million that what was now more a cutting than a layer would take... And it did! Laughing

Here are pics when I removed the layer (and was very disappointed) :

Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers. Ginkgo01_090303b

After cutting the rotten roots:

Please share your advice on caring for slow-rooting airlayers. Ginkgo01_090303c

No photo of the new tree in the ground, and it's raining cats and dogs at the moment, but the tree is very healthy.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Alain, what time of year did you do this? Sounds like something I might try if no more roots form. Blessed rain! Very Happy
Salut, Todd Very Happy
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:13 pm

... and this thread is a good example of what Iris advised in another thread: knowing the basic mechanisms of plants helps!

Have a look at this page, and Will's comment will seem even more evident on why putting several air-layers on the same trunk or branch are quite likely to fail:

Sap circulation
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:22 pm

Todd Ellis wrote: Alain, what time of year did you do this? Sounds like something I might try if no more roots form. Blessed rain! Very Happy
Salut, Todd Very Happy

I removed the "layer" in early March 2009, and planted it in the ground at the end of the same month/beginning of April.

About ginkgo cuttings: people told me they were fairly easy to make, in late winter under a protected frame. Tried it two years with about 10 cuttings each time, none of them took Crying or Very sad

I've never tried it with ginkgo, but with species that can have an important growth in a season (deciduous trees mainly), putting a tight ring of wire where you want to air-layer the next year gives good results : the bark makes a swelling, so when you cut a ring of bark, there are more cells from which roots can grow. I tried it on maples, especially with a trident maple. But it's true that even without that, maples are fairly easy to air-layer anyway Wink
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down