Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai IS art - Ha! V.02

5 posters

Go down

Bonsai IS art - Ha! V.02 Empty Bonsai IS art - Ha! V.02

Post  Guest Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm

I have just been given the date for the 'Art' Gallery exhibition in Manchester UK that I am to be part of, the event is set for May 2010 and will run for three months. The 'Theme' is 'Living art' and will 'challenge' the misconceptions of 'Art' as a 'static' display

My Challenge is to maintain the trees in a gallery setting for three months affraid The event is in the early stages so the terms of exhibiting are being drawn up.

I am aware that Philippa Lawrence "A bonsai tree wrapped in thread" is being approached to be part of the show... controversy... Bring it on! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Bonsai IS art - Ha! V.02 Empty Re: Bonsai IS art - Ha! V.02

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Tony wrote:I have just been given the date for the 'Art' Gallery exhibition in Manchester UK that I am to be part of, the event is set for May 2010 and will run for three months. The 'Theme' is 'Living art' and will 'challenge' the misconceptions of 'Art' as a 'static' display

My Challenge is to maintain the trees in a gallery setting for three months affraid The event is in the early stages so the terms of exhibiting are being drawn up. Twisted Evil

Congratulations Tony, As for the three months, you could wrap the trees in aluminum foil, pipe cleaners and assorted other household items and not worry about them. NOT Rolling Eyes
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Tony this is great news. A chance to show good bonsai properly AND to show the thread wrapped mallsai for what it is!

Best of luck with your problem of maintaining the exhibits over three months. Is it all indoor gallery space? Are you planning to swap the trees every few days?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Will Heath Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Well done Tony, it is exhibits such as these that will drag bonsai into the fine arts arena.

You may want to talk to Walter Pall, as some time ago his trees were displayed in a museum on pedestals and he may be able to share his experiences on tree care with you. Interestingly enough, being on pedestals in such an environment, trees were viewed from all angles, in three dimensions, if you will.

Will
Will Heath
Will Heath

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Will Heath wrote:Well done Tony, it is exhibits such as these that will drag bonsai into the fine arts arena.

You may want to talk to Walter Pall, as some time ago his trees were displayed in a museum on pedestals and he may be able to share his experiences on tree care with you.
Will

This 'Gig' has been two years in gestation, Pointed the web links to Walters 'trees and painting' displays from a while back as part of my presentation to the Curators. It is not just bonsai... it is all living artforms... in their many guises... Ikibana... Bamboo!!! is part of the event as the curator of one of the largest Galleries in the UK is a Bamboo fanatic Shocked

Kev, The event is INSIDE... the detail is to be fixed but I will be changing trees on a weekly (I think) basis. The good bit is that I will start in May with flowering Hawthorns bounce The press will like that!

I may ask North West bonsai Folk to get involved supplying a tree for a week or two as I can see this turning into a big commitment for one guy (Me)

They want to include 'workshops' as part of the event... lets see how that manifests itself Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Bonsai IS art - Ha! V.02 Empty Bonsai is art - Ha V.02

Post  Bob Brunt Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi Tony this sounds fantastic.I'm pretty sure the Northwest Bonsai folk would love to show a tree or two at an event of this calibre.
Not all will have trees to the standard required but may well be able to help in other ways.Time, Manpower Transport etc.
I don't think you have any difficulty it finding the help you may require.
Bob Brunt
Bob Brunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Bob Brunt wrote:Hi Tony this sounds fantastic.I'm pretty sure the Northwest Bonsai folk would love to show a tree or two at an event of this calibre.
Not all will have trees to the standard required but may well be able to help in other ways.Time, Manpower Transport etc.
I don't think you have any difficulty it finding the help you may require.

Bob considering that it is happening in YOUR town... you were one of the helpers I was hoping to bully into getting involved Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Walker Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Tony: Let us know when the exhibit catalogue is issued.
Alan Walker
Alan Walker

Back to top Go down

Bonsai IS art - Ha! V.02 Empty Bonsai IS art - Ha V.02

Post  Bob Brunt Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:47 pm

No need for Bullying Tony.That's my wife's job ...It would be a pleasure to help out in anyway my shift plan ( and she who must be obeyed ) will allow.
Bob Brunt
Bob Brunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down