Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

in what style does my tree belong?

4 posters

Go down

in what style does my tree belong? Empty in what style does my tree belong?

Post  Guest Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:49 pm

this is my yangya posted in the forum, got this question for some time now.slanting? informal? exposed root? got mixed up...any info?

in what style does my tree belong? Dsc_0321

Back to top Go down

in what style does my tree belong? Empty Re: in what style does my tree belong?

Post  stavros Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Why is it so important to categorize the tree in a specific style?

Each tree is different, and as people like Walter Pall, Robert Stevens and others show with their work, each tree is in a category of its own......

This is how i see it.
Stavros

Very Happy

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:11 pm

I guess that's a matter of opinion, Jun, and everyone is going to have a different take on it. I see slanting. For me, to label something "exposed root style" means that those exposed roots are the most dominant feature of the tree, and just because there are exposed roots doesn't make it qualify. I say this because exposed roots can be a very natural part of the design of almost style bonsai. I think it is particularly effective when incorporated into windswepts and cascades. What would cause roots to be exposed? Blowing wind or rushing water, right? - not counting Ficus of course.

Hope this makes sense. Whatever you decide to call isn't really that important. Actually, I'd prefer we just call it "Russell's"!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:56 am

Stavros and Russell,

thanks,
this tree was in a typical slanting position before my last re pot. then i tilted a little bit more to the right, so i got this huge over exposed root. i guess i can call this an 'uprooted-slanting with a bit of informal semi cacade "russell's" 'style. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:38 am

The style is "PLEASE PUT IT ON MY BENCH!" Laughing

I would call it a Slanting style. By the way - I really enjoy looking at your posts; particularly the whole collection sites and your nursery. Please post some more pictures if you get the notion. I showed my wife your posts and then told her that I want to move there!

Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:01 am

Thanks Todd.

Im grateful that you like my posts. If you visit the Philippines il be glad to let you stay for free in my nipa hut, in the middle of my nursery. its still well inside the city of metro manila, but its peaceful inside that compound. Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fukien beech Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:47 am

Hello friend,

You have many different styles and options but to mix things up a little I would identify the style of your tree as 'the hunch back of notre dame style' many people will tell you many useless things and sometimes forget to just answer your question or worse yet, answer your question with yet another question! Or even MUCH worse yet, answer your question with another question asking why you asked such a question!!!!!! It is a beautiful tree...in my opionion it would be classified as a 'shakkan' styled tree. bounce
Fukien beech
Fukien beech

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:57 pm

"fukien beech"
thanks, i appreciate all of your comments. no matter how serious and informative or how dull but hearth warming it might be. its so easy to read info on books or google some of the masters' works anyway. but getting feedback from some "common people" (which i do not personally know) like me,of the bonsai world is the best, the most honest no matter how hostile it might be, and the most informative at the same time the most satisfying ideas i could ever find to help me improve my craft and im thankful for that.....who knows someday, one of those people giving advice here will become the next J. Naka, Budi S.,Robert S, or Walter pall. il be honored to put a tag on my tree---"the beauty of this tree is a result of "Mr. Russell's" (just an example Russell) advice" IMHO Smile

thanks.

your friend,
the "common man" jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down