Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mail Order Bonsai Question

+4
Mike Jones
bonsaisr
JimLewis
Jay Gaydosh
8 posters

Go down

Mail Order Bonsai Question Empty Mail Order Bonsai Question

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:58 pm

I just had a co-worker ask me about buying a bonsai tree on-line for a friend. She brought me a copy of several of their trees. One was a plant called "Little Money". It was listed as minimal maintenance, being tolerant of low light and water.

I have the name of the company, but am hesitant to post it and ask for recommendations.

From all my experiences, buying bonsai trees from mail order companies, department stores, and road side bonsai dealers has resulted in dead trees. (Big difference from buying healthy plants from nursery stores and then working with them with the goal of creating bonsai.)

Has anyone really experienced any success with buying these low priced, mass produced, bonsai?

Since I wouldn't buy one for myself, and I told that to my co-worker, I wouldn't personally recommend it to her. Either way, comments for or against this won't hurt my feelings!

Thanks,

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Mail Order Bonsai Question Empty Re: Mail Order Bonsai Question

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Should I have put this in "General or Off-Topic" or "Bonsai Questions" sections?

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:30 pm

It's OK here for a while.

You might also tell your co-worker that buying an unsuspecting "friend" a bonsai as a gift isn't a great idea. He or she may not want it, may not have the horticultural skills to take care of it, may prefer another kind of tree, etc., If the tree dies -- as is fairly likely -- that can affect the friendship (however close it may be).

Suggest to your friend that he or she instead buy him/her a book on bonsai -- one with some how-to and some pictures of nice trees -- and a gift certificate to a local nursery. Then, they can work together (if that's something they might do) on creating one themselves, rather than buying a crappy, S-curved whatever it is that probably is NOT low maintenance, etc.

I wrote an article on why it's NOT a good idea to buy a friend a bonsai for Christmas. We used o feature it every winter on the old IBC. It also has appeared in a number of club newsletters. I can send it if you like. But the essence is already here.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Please send it! My home e-mail is BLEEP
I like the book idea better and our local Barnes and Noble has several basic bonsai books.

Thanks.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:12 pm

"Money Tree" is Pachira aquatica. It is not a legitimate bonsai subject anyway.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote:Please send it! My home e-mail is BLEEP
I like the book idea better and our local Barnes and Noble has several basic bonsai books.

Thanks.

Done!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:21 pm

Jim's article (I've used it many times) has a wonderful simile. Buying someone a bonsai when they have no experience is like buying a tuba for someone who has never had a music lesson. That usually gets the attention of the would-be gift giver.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Yep been there and done it. My best buddy (ex SAS) did his level best but in the end he was good at his old trade.

No, shant buy a buddy a Bonsai again, I so hate it when they pass on.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Mail Order Bonsai Question Empty mail order bonsai

Post  moyogijohn Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Jay there is a bonsai nursery in mississippi that sales and has good trees to me..they are fast shipping and pack very well.i have some of their trees and have had no problem that i didnot cause myself with them.road side people i would stay away from..the nurseries here in west virginia i know about could care less.. good luck john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:41 pm

i just bought a tree from Brussel's Nursery a elm forMail Order Bonsai Question Yankee14 about 150 bucks and im pretty happy. here is a picture.
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:33 am

You have a nice tree to practice your pruning and styling skills. Have fun!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:31 am

sublime716 wrote:i just bought a tree from Brussel's Nursery a elm for about 150 bucks and im pretty happy. here is a picture.
May I ask if you are pleased with packaging and speed of delivery? What time of the year did you buy the tree?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:03 pm

my nellie wrote:
sublime716 wrote:i just bought a tree from Brussel's Nursery a elm for about 150 bucks and im pretty happy. here is a picture.
May I ask if you are pleased with packaging and speed of delivery? What time of the year did you buy the tree?
the tree came in 3 days and yes it was packaged very well. the pot was wrapped in plastic several times soil still moist and very secure in the bottem of the box. the rest of the box had "peanuts" filled to the top. i just ordered the tree last month july. i read alot of comment of people that bought from them and it seems that most people are happy except the people that order the dawn redwoods. im getting ready to order another a Cryptomeria "japanese cedar".
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:15 pm

Thank you for your reply!
Are you dubious somehow as far as the temperature conditions are concerned??
How much will affect the tree?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Chinese elm is not that delicate. Summer temperatures in Buffalo are not much different from Mississippi. With a tree that old, he will have to be careful the first one or two winters.
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:40 pm

Hello, Iris!

I was referring merely to the transportation from Brussels nursery to USA Smile
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:21 pm

from the people i asked i think im going with the unheated garage just after thanksgiving and hope for the best. should be fine as long as the roots dont freeze. temps between 32 F and 45 F. right? from what i read i dont want the tree to get above 50 F or it will start to bud.

oh ya and brussels is in the USA
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:05 am

The nursery is Brussel's, with an apostrophe. The owner is Brussel Martin. It is in Olive Branch, Mississippi, just south of the Tennessee border.
Winter temperatures can be 25 to 45 F, -4 to 7 C. It's OK if the roots freeze & stay frozen all winter. Alternate freezing & thawing are dangerous.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Oh, I see.... Thank you, Iris!
I thought Brussels, Belgium lol!
This is another benefit one can get from being a member of IBC.... learns famous nurseries and their locations, even though on the other side of the ocean! lol!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down