Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fish in my water bucket?

+8
BonsaiRS
Jay Gaydosh
Tom
prestontolbert
jgeanangel
Mike Jones
Jim Doiron
bumblebee
12 posters

Go down

Fish in my water bucket? Empty Fish in my water bucket?

Post  bumblebee Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:54 pm

I have 2 big styrofoam containers that I'm using to catch rainwater. Problem is, mosquitos like to lay their eggs there, too. I'd like to put a couple of goldfish in the tubs to eat the larvae as I've done in the past. But here's my question. I've been keeping a little Miraclegro in the water so my trees get just a little every watering. Will the Miraclegro kill the fish? Anybody tried it? Thanks, y'all.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Fish in my water bucket? Empty Re: Fish in my water bucket?

Post  Jim Doiron Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:16 pm

I have thought about that in the past but the problem I came to is the collection of the rain water is for the purpose of watering and if you put fish in there you are limited in the amount of water you can use. Also I would be ever worried of scooping up a fish in the watering can. Mosquito dunks which contain Bacillus thuringiensis v. israelensis that kill the larvae are pretty common and that is what I use in my rain barrels. Hope that helps
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:17 pm

No expert on fish but I believe it is down to the Ph value for fishies. Maybe it would make the them grow?

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Mike Jones wrote:No expert on fish but I believe it is down to the Ph value for fishies. Maybe it would make the them grow?

Mike

Maybe! Fish in my water bucket? Icon_wink

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:13 am

If it is just a little fertilizer your fish will be fine...lots of folks that do aquariums with live plants use it all the time. A more tolerant fish, which has certainly proven to be good and bad in terms of invasive species is most likely native to your area...mosquito fish and can be harvested from just about any small creek, pond, ditch, river, lake, swamp, etc...in the southern US with a small dip net. They will eliminate the larvae and survive in ever changing conditions. I have used them often through the years.

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:26 am

Fathead minnows from your local bait and tackle will do the trick. And you know what you can do with them on a cool afternoon! Cool
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:57 am

Fertilisers contain high levels of nitrogen based compounds.
Nitrogen based compounds are one of the key things one tries to remove when filtering fishtanks / ponds because it is harmful to fish.

Putting miracle-gro in an environment where you are keeping fish is a bad idea in my view.
However, consider that the fish will themselves be creating wastes - so you'll be getting a bit of natural fertiliser in your water anyway.
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:49 am

Tom wrote:Fertilisers contain high levels of nitrogen based compounds.
Nitrogen based compounds are one of the key things one tries to remove when filtering fishtanks / ponds because it is harmful to fish.

Putting miracle-gro in an environment where you are keeping fish is a bad idea in my view.
However, consider that the fish will themselves be creating wastes - so you'll be getting a bit of natural fertiliser in your water anyway.

agreed...but we are not talking about an aquarium or a pond here...something with a large fish load... a couple of mosquito fish and a low dose of fertilizer will not be problem...as you recognize, nitrifying bacteria will immediately start breaking down any ammonia and nitrites from the fertilizer...leaving just the nitrates for the plants:)

I have been keeping fish and aquatic plants for nearly 40 years now. I am down to just a well-stocked koi pond currently. Most of the fish have been with me for more than decade. I water my bonsai nearly everyday from the pond...amounts to about a 10% water change...the plants love the fish water and the fish love the water change..hard to beat a win-win.

Fish in my water bucket? P1000039

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Actually, the secret is to add the Miraqcle Grow to your watering can after you pull it out of the rain barrel. You might also look into a solar powered bubbler for the tank to keep the O2 levels up for the fish. If they do a good job holding back the larvae, yo might also have to add fish food to keep them healthy.

We have several coworkers who have fish tanks, once every week or two they pull 1/4 to 1/3 the tank water out an d use it to water their office plants w/o the added fertilizer. Then top off the tanks.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  BonsaiRS Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:41 pm

All the rain collection setup I've come across had a mesh covering the top...much like window screen. This keeps the mosquitos out and adding fertilizer isn't an issue.

Best of Luck Smile

BonsaiRS

Back to top Go down

Post  toy4x4 Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:15 am

Screen is a good idea. Also something that keeps the water moving would work too. Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water.
toy4x4
toy4x4

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:58 pm

jgeanangel wrote:
Tom wrote:Fertilisers contain high levels of nitrogen based compounds.

agreed...but we are not talking about an aquarium or a pond here...something with a large fish load... a couple of mosquito fish and a low dose of fertilizer will not be problem...as you recognize, nitrifying bacteria will immediately start breaking down any ammonia and nitrites from the fertilizer...leaving just the nitrates for the plants:)

I have been keeping fish and aquatic plants for nearly 40 years now. I am down to just a well-stocked koi pond currently. Most of the fish have been with me for more than decade. I water my bonsai nearly everyday from the pond...amounts to about a 10% water change...the plants love the fish water and the fish love the water change..hard to beat a win-win.

Fish in my water bucket? P1000039

Pretty fish, pretty photo!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:11 am

John that is a stunning golden butterfly one of the best exampels I have seen most have some other color like a errant black scale but this one looks pure gold do you have more pics of it?

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:55 am

Nice kohaku top left!
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:29 pm

Seth Ellwood wrote:John that is a stunning golden butterfly one of the best exampels I have seen most have some other color like a errant black scale but this one looks pure gold do you have more pics of it?

Here you go Seth.. She has never grown like I thought she should...I have seen longfins in the plus 20# class and over 3' long. This is probably 18" with her tail...she about 2" when I got her.
John
Fish in my water bucket? DSC01555
Fish in my water bucket? DSC01556

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:49 pm

prestontolbert wrote:Nice kohaku top left!

Thanks! It is actually Kikisui which is a doitsu platinum kohaku.

Thanks,
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:34 am

Wow, I didn't notice the doitsu scales. Super fish.
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  princecheck13 Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:01 pm

Depending on amount of fish you stock in your tank a monthly water change would be a disaster, as many people have said a 20 % water change weekly is ok for most types of tropical fish ,If you using tap water add aqua-safe to the clean water.

princecheck13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down