Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities

2 posters

Go down

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities Empty Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue May 25, 2010 7:21 pm

This is a very cool Dale Cocohy pot I picked up at Bill Valvanis September exhibition.
The tree is a Brazilian Raintree branch cutting that is very flat hence it fits the narrow confines of the rectangular pot. It needs a few more growing seasons to fill in but I think you will get the idea. Jim VanLandingham took the cutting and I talked him out of the tree.

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities 313

If you look at the pot from the side you can see the flat trunk, which is a characteristic of the Brazilian Raintrees that grow in the USA.

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities 412

Last edited by Rob Kempinski on Tue May 25, 2010 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities Empty Naked Trees Walking

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue May 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Once in a while I will defoliate my Willow leaf Ficus to help see the strucutre and to aid ramificaiton.

Here is a Clump style shohin in a Japanese Pot
This might be its Internet Debut. sunny
Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities 214

The next is a sumo shohin Willow Leaf Ficus that I chopped to size in 2004 if I recall correctly. Jerry Meislik was visiting my house that day. The how to sequence of this tree is featured in my book, "Introduction To Bonsai." I recall taking considerable heat when I chopped a poorly developing cascade to make this tree. I feel the chop was worth it as this guy is now a super sumo. tongue silent The pot was made by a local Melbourne, Florida, pottery collective called Horse Creek Pottery by their main artist Bill (whose last name I forgot).

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities 811

Last edited by Rob Kempinski on Tue May 25, 2010 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities Empty Re: Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue May 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Here is another naked Willow Leaf Ficus. One I've been playing with for a few years. The pot is medium quality Chinese pot.

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities 712
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities Empty Re: Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Tue May 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Nice!!! I've seen that Dale pot before... Smile

Love the sumo shohin... the form and movement is lovely.

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities Empty More oddities

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue May 25, 2010 7:53 pm

This is a Chinese Elm cutting that I developed into a shohin. Obviously the top needs to round off a bit. The pot was a commemorative giveaway at a Bonsai Society of Florida convention a few years ago. I don't know who made the pot.

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities 511

Next is a Texas Ebony shohin recently purchased at our local club auction. I tried to buy this tree several years ago when it was at Durastone Nursery but it was sold and waiting for its owner to pick up. Well patience pays off, the owner brought it to our club auction last month. It immediately underwent restlying it and it looks ratty but when the curved apex and branches fill in it should improve. As a compound leafed tree probably best to show it without leaves. I made the pot.

Cool Pot with soon to Be Cool Tree and other oddities 611
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down