Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Repotting" a Rock Planting

5 posters

Go down

"Repotting" a Rock Planting Empty "Repotting" a Rock Planting

Post  jgeanangel Mon May 24, 2010 11:19 am

I am often asked about how to repot rock plantings. Since this does not involve actually removing the tree(s) from the stone I am not sure we can call it repotting in the normal sense. However, these are the steps I generally use when reconditioning a planting in which the trees are attached to the stone and soil medium is muck.

I hope you find this helpful!!
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

"Repotting" a Rock Planting Empty Re: "Repotting" a Rock Planting

Post  fiona Mon May 24, 2010 11:42 am

"Helpful" is far too mild a word to use, John.

Insightful, educational, inspirational - any (or indeed all) of those would be better. ThumbsUp

Quick question: what is your "recipe" for the muck you use? Just trying to see if it differs at all from what I'd use.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon May 24, 2010 12:38 pm

John, great video and very informative. Thank you! I love the caves Smile in your rock; reminds me of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Very nice! Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Mon May 24, 2010 6:26 pm

fiona wrote:

Quick question: what is your "recipe" for the muck you use? Just trying to see if it differs at all from what I'd use.

Hey Fiona..thanks for the feedback:) I use potter's clay, Michigan peat, and long fiber sphagnum moss. I try to mix the components equally based on volume...not weight. The Michigan peat is very dark and seems to be more decomposed that other forms of peat that you can buy. The sphagnum is included primarily for its ability to absorb and thus move water through the mixture.

Hey Todd, Locally the stone I use is called iron stone and from what I understand can be found along the Atlantic coast from Maryland down and around to Alabama. It is found with varying degrees of texture but I have seen great pieces collected throughout its distribution.

Thanks,
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ Mon May 24, 2010 11:00 pm

John - Enjoyed the video, and the planting. I'm curious though; why do you avoid removing the plant entirely from the rock when doing the root pruning?
AJ
AJ

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue May 25, 2010 12:05 am

AJ wrote:John - Enjoyed the video, and the planting. I'm curious though; why do you avoid removing the plant entirely from the rock when doing the root pruning?

Arthur, Because I am your Dad and what I say goes!!! and I'll have none of that backtalk...Smile

Seriously though you make a good point...To be perfectly honest the only reason I have for saying that is it was the way I was taught...if not taught directly it was at least the perception I came away with...by more than one teacher:) I think it would be reasonable to assume that if the tree is healthy and removing it from the rock doesn't do any significant damage to the tree or the stone, then there is no reason why you couldn't remove the tree. In the case of this particular planting, I know the planting area has a large number of small caves, crooks and crannies...if the roots of the boxwood have grown characteristically I suspect it might be difficult to remove...but I am sure the tree would do fine if I did remove and replace it.

Thanks for pointing out something that I may have been doing by habit and not based experience and logic.
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Tue May 25, 2010 3:11 am

I try to catch all your vids. I really enjoy them. Thanks for sharing all that!

Joe
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Joe Hatfield wrote:I try to catch all your vids. I really enjoy them. Thanks for sharing all that!

Joe

Thank you Joe!!
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down