Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mugo Pine Needs A New Look

+11
Justin Hervey
wabashene
boon
jersanct
mike page
fiona
alex e
Jarrod
Mike Jones
Pavel Slovák
Victrinia Ridgeway
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mugo Pine Needs A New Look - Page 2 Empty Re: Mugo Pine Needs A New Look

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Fri May 21, 2010 7:53 am

Oi... this took a while... but it's a start... the photo stinks... sorry... I'll try and get a natural light one later this weekend... I was supposed to be getting ready for a trip and writting my bonsai club newsletter... but no... obsessive complusive little me had to play with bonsai for 5 hours... lol had fun though... so that's the part that counts.

The wood will need to be refined... and the wiring needs a little more work.. but I got to a shape I could live with for now.. and then if I want to go lower I still can... so it's a good place to start anyway... And the shadows are making it look denser than it is... though I imagine as pads redevelop, I'll simplify them even more.

Mugo Pine Needs A New Look - Page 2 Mugo5202010

Thanks for all the thoughts thus far...

Kindest regards,

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Fri May 21, 2010 10:49 am

Great courage Victrinia, and it was repaid. I like it.
It also shows the advantage of taking the time to grow, wire and set a branch that will be jinned at a later time.
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Fri May 21, 2010 12:56 pm

Much better looking, I like!
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Fri May 21, 2010 2:17 pm

easy

Mugo Pine Needs A New Look - Page 2 Mugo5210
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Fri May 21, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm glad you two enjoyed it. Laughing I did indeed feel rewarded for my efforts when it was all said and done. Smile

Thanks for making the shadows softer Walter... I just didn't have time to fuss with it last night. ThumbsUp

Kindest regards,

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  aji Sun May 23, 2010 11:56 pm

Time well spent Victrinia
Nice decision Very Happy
aji
aji

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon May 24, 2010 12:36 am

Hi Victrinia,

Apparently, you had your mind set on that face: you posted no photos of what might be an alternative angle, either side, or back.

Was that because this side was the only acceptable for the nebari, or was it because your vision of the tree was stuck on this particular side?

Anyway, as it looks now, all the branches are on the left side, and the trunk too is bent to the left side. So it looks like a windswept tree to me.

Since the branch you've jinned out is still "fresh", maybe you could curve it to the left too: I can't figure out why the trunk, and all the other branches, are oriented to the left, and such a big branch would have had time to develop to the right, if you see what I mean.

Fortunately, I have no reputation to keep up with, I'm no John N. or William V., or anything, but that's what I think, that's how I see your tree from here Neutral
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Mon May 24, 2010 2:53 am

Alain...

Actually it's not that hard for me to envision the life story of this tree where there would be life moving in a definite direction, having given up on another. It's not an uncommon form with ancient gnarly trees, whose enviornments had some sudden radical change... ie a one protective tree or rock being removed for whatever reason, exposing the tree to a new enviornment it has to cope with. The newly buffeted side will often die back and allow the tree to be vigorous in those areas where it has the most optimal chance for success.

The layout of the nebari and the branch structure did dictate the front to a great degree... I'm not opposed to changing the front when completely restyling a tree, but with how the top of the tree was developed, there was little choice in this case. Smile I did actually take photos of it all around and look at them first... but didn't present them, because there was no great possibilities within those other sides.

I appreciate the time you took to respond... it lets others get a different perspective... and certainly your perspective is no less appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Mon May 24, 2010 2:55 am

aji wrote:Time well spent Victrinia
Nice decision Very Happy

Thanks aji... glad you liked it. Smile

Kindest regards,

Victrinia