Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wood suitable for carving

3 posters

Go down

Wood suitable for carving Empty Wood suitable for carving

Post  Mike Jones Sun May 16, 2010 8:09 pm

I've used Bog wood which I purchased from an aquarium store. Darned hard stuff but deep brown in colour. In all the years I have never really gotten into this type of style. I have some nice sapling (very wippy) C. Junipers and thought I would go for it.

May I ask your advice on the right deadwood to use and where best to obtain it? UK South West based.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Wood suitable for carving Empty Re: Wood suitable for carving

Post  Kev Bailey Sun May 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Depends really on what you want to carve. Sounds like you want a piece for phoenix grafting onto?

I can recommend Yew, if you can locate an old tree that has some dead wood. I've been really lucky to find some huge branches below limestone cliffs. They had stood getting weather beaten, probably for decades after dying and are bleached grey-white and iron hard.

A good alternative would be Juniper. You may find a nice shaped one in a skip, if you don't mind dumpster diving. Council garden waste skips sometimes have remarkable things in them! A recently dug one is easier to strip bark and carve, than one that has died and dried out.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Mon May 17, 2010 5:51 am

Thank you Sire. Yes PG was what I had in mind. Oh well, dumpster diving it is then pirat

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Mon May 17, 2010 7:13 am

Kev Bailey wrote: Council garden waste skips sometimes have remarkable things in them! A recently dug one is easier to strip bark and carve, than one that has died and dried out.

Ah! The trick is to get to the council blokes before they dig them up!

Seriously though, I've tried carving some mopani wood before. I don't know if it's different to bog wood, it seems to be something similar but with a lighter colour to it. I have a load left over from my days in the aquarium hobby. I never got round to attaching a whip, gave up half through as the stuff was so darned hard to cut through! I'd imagine it wouldn't rot away anytime soon though if used in tanuki, probably no need to preserve it in any way.

Richard

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down