Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?!

4 posters

Go down

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?! Empty have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?!

Post  eaton2008 Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:34 pm

I have just repotted this pine and i think i may have cut back the roots too far!!?? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give this tree as much chance as possible of survival?? Any suggestion will be very welcome!

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?! DSCN9475

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?! DSCN9474
eaton2008
eaton2008

Back to top Go down

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?! Empty have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?!

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Hello Eaton. It's very difficult to tell you if you cut too much root off, without seeing a pic of the roots. Yamadori Sylvestris doesn't have an awful lot of root anyway. The problem with reducing the foliage is it's going to bleed a lot at this time of year. Did you have many white tipped roots when it went into the pot?

Back to top Go down

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?! Empty Re: have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?!

Post  eaton2008 Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:04 pm

[yes it had a few roots with white tips, is that good or bad?
eaton2008
eaton2008

Back to top Go down

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?! Empty Re: have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?!

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:12 pm

White tips are a good thing. They're the terminals of the roots and will help the tree immediately.

Back to top Go down

Post  eaton2008 Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:23 pm

problem is i think i cut them off! the tree is placed in the shade and i mist the needles, i hope this helps abit??any ideas how long it could take till i know its ok or not??
eaton2008
eaton2008

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:40 pm

It's difficult to tell. I have a Sylvestris I transplanted from box to pot 3 years ago. There wasn't much root at all and the buds for that year did nothing. Through the summer the buds went hard and very dark but the foliage stayed a good colour. In late August I noticed lots of tiny buds around the bases of the hard candles and now, three years on it is flourishing.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:00 pm

Mostly shade and out of wind is good. Morning sun is good, too. Many folks would say not to fertilize, but I don't believe that. Label strength or maybe a bit lighter is fine.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  eaton2008 Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:51 am

i have kept this tree in the shade for the past couple of weeks, spraying the needles with water morning and evening!! now the needle have started turning yellow at the tips and appear to be drying out?!! could this be because of over wartering or is this the begining of the end for this tree??any suggestions please
eaton2008
eaton2008

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:47 am

Can you take a close up picture of the candles and needles. I wouldn't keep a Pine in the shade. Morning sun will be fine this time of year.

Back to top Go down

Post  eaton2008 Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:19 pm

picture of needles

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?! DSCN9480

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?! DSCN9481

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?! DSCN9482
eaton2008
eaton2008

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:14 pm

The buds look as if they're swelling to me, although they are small. Don't know whether the ends of the needles is needle cast?

Back to top Go down

have just repotted a pinus sylvestris may have trimmed the roots too much?! Empty repotted collected scots pine

Post  Peter Adams Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi Eaton,

Try collecting some old decomposed pine needles, some shredded spagnum moss and dried bracken fern and add this to the soil by just working a bit in at the sides of the pot. Pine needle litter introduces good fungal activity; sphagnum moss is an antibiotic agent; bracken fern contains a natural rooting acid.

Do not feed the tree. Do not over-water the tree. Both are bad for recovering roots. Shade the tree but do not spray the leaves. This conserves moisture. If there is needle cast present, wet leaves increase its activity. Try using a fungicidal spray like copper. Zineb is better. Vitamin B1 as a soil drench is bebeficial.

Give it time. Hope this helps.
Regards
Peter Adams

Peter Adams

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:45 pm

It's been about a week, how does this tree look now?
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down