Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

As promised collected potentials.

3 posters

Go down

As promised collected potentials. Empty As promised collected potentials.

Post  Fuzzy Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:41 am

As promised here are a few of my recently collected potentials. I’m cautious though happy to report that all buds are swelling. The hawthorn has been placed into large transparent plastic bag and sits in a shaded corner of the garden along with the sloe, but the Elms are so vigorous that they’re up on my training benches in full sun, HOORAAAAY! So for all those would-be collectors of wild stock, go ask your local friendly farmer, He’ll probably think you’re nuts but hey we all know it’s the best kind of insanity to have right? Oh! And most importantly if you are a complete beginner in bonsai PLEASE become proficient at looking after your little trees in pots before attempting to collect from the wild. This fact can not be overstated! Smile

As promised collected potentials. Elm2010

As promised collected potentials. Elm22010

As promised collected potentials. Hawthorn2010

As promised collected potentials. Sloe2010
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

As promised collected potentials. Empty As promised collected potentials.

Post  Guest Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Some very good material there Eric. I particularly like the Sloe. Brilliant find. Why have you put them in plastic bags though? They shouldn't need any special treatment.

Back to top Go down

As promised collected potentials. Empty Re: As promised collected potentials.

Post  Fuzzy Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi Will,
Only the hawthorn is in a plastic tent/Bag, just being extra careful I suppose. If you don’t think I need it I’ll remove it.
Thanks for the advice. Smile
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:16 pm

If your worried that there wasn't a lot of root when you collected it, it is quite common. Just a sheltered spot should do it. Was the Sloe from grazing land? It looks full of character for the species.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi will,
I’ll take the tent off then as it’s in a corner of my garden protected on three sides. It came out with a fair amount of feeder roots which I’m grateful for. The pic really doesn’t do justice to the trunk movement as it was just a quick snap shot and I really want to just leave it alone and let it recover.

The sloe has been shibbled over the years and a friendly farmer gave me the nod to collect after I offered to buy him some beers in return. Fair deal me thinks. Smile
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm

I think your Sloe could be really special. Look forward to seeing them all in the future. Another one to look out for in the hedgerows is Bullace. Its closely related to Damson but has a yellow plum. All very good bonsai material.

Back to top Go down

Post  harry dovey Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:00 am

i have got a few nice bullace trees round mine i did try and collect one this year but not successful have you got some nice ones will.
harry dovey
harry dovey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Hello Harry. I haven't any Bullace but I've seen some nice ones. Graham Potter had a load for sale, not sure whether he still has any

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm assuming the Bullous mentioned is Bullace (Green Damson) - Prunus institia, not the chronic blistering of the skin ranging from mildly itchy welts to severe blisters and infection that bullous is, so have altered the spelling. Wink
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Sorry Kev. Bullace from now on Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 pm

No problem, would have hated to discover you and Harry were contagious! Very Happy
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down