Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...'

+2
bisjoe
Todd Ellis
6 posters

Go down

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Empty Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...'

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:51 am

I planted this tree in the ground where I use to live and it was 2 1/2 ft tall (1998). I rediscovered it last Fall and dug it and put it in good soil. I repotted it about a month ago and have been trying to identify it. I looked in the Audubon Tree guide to id it by the flowers and think it might be a peach. But the bark looks more cherry-like to me. The buds and blossoms reminded me of apples. I thought originally it might be an apricot. The wood is very hard. I plan to air layer the top this year and then work the rest into a literati. It stands approx five feet in the pot. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm so confused bounce

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Spring12

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Spring12[/url

[url=https://servimg.com/view/14839739/26]Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Spring13
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Empty Re: Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...'

Post  bisjoe Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:42 am

Post again when there are leaves, that might help some. Could be apple, peach, plumb, apricot, cherry or even almond.
Did the buds show pink before opening?
bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Empty Re: Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...'

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:33 am

I didn't see any pink; all white. I will post again when the leaves are out. Thanks!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:17 pm

Where idid it come from originally? Woods? Nursery? Was that also in Virginia? Apple flowers would have more pink in them. Look at Prunus angustifolia or P. alleghaniensis.

Major problem with Audubon Field Guide is that it omits many shrub-sized plants, which both of these are.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Looks like a pear to me! They are one of the first to flower this time of year and have that type of flower cluster and are always pure white in color. The bark reminds me of an older pear as well. But, as always it's difficult to tell from a picture. I know it's not Prunus angustifolia, i have those here on my property and the bark and flower clusters are completely diffierent that what's in your pitcutre. If I had to venture a guess I'd say it's a pyrus communis of some sort.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Empty New photos with leaves and fruit

Post  Todd Ellis Tue May 25, 2010 1:37 am

Here are some new photos with leaves and fruit. Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm going to try to add another photo. Thanks for your help. Regards, Todd

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Plum_f10
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue May 25, 2010 1:43 am

Here's another photo...

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Plum_f11
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue May 25, 2010 1:44 am

and another... including a "wrong pic"...oops! I wanted to include the air layer
...I'm feeling very "computer challenged" tonight.... confused
Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Plum_f12

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Plum_f10

Last edited by fiona on Tue May 25, 2010 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : wrong picture)
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue May 25, 2010 1:55 am

Randy_Davis wrote:Looks like a pear to me! They are one of the first to flower this time of year and have that type of flower cluster and are always pure white in color. The bark reminds me of an older pear as well. But, as always it's difficult to tell from a picture. I know it's not Prunus angustifolia, i have those here on my property and the bark and flower clusters are completely diffierent that what's in your pitcutre. If I had to venture a guess I'd say it's a pyrus communis of some sort.

Randy, I think you're right on with your ID... It flowered early, the flowers were pure white, and the fruit looks like a pear... "quacks like a duck, walks like a duck..." Good enough for me! thanks cheers Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...' Empty Please help me identify this "wild" Prunus 'something...'

Post  Guest Tue May 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Hello Todd. It looks like a Plum to me. Pear leaves are generally more heart shaped and the top surface of the leaf is glossy. The fruit, although pear shaped, could be a young Plum.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue May 25, 2010 7:26 pm

I too would go for plum. Check out those two I mentioned earlier.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue May 25, 2010 9:43 pm

JimLewis wrote:I too would go for plum. Check out those two I mentioned earlier.

Will & Jim, I defer to your experience. I was hoping it was a plum. Thanks for your input. I don't think the fruit will stay until it ripens, but I like the tree anyway. (Jim, I will check out those two species you mentioned earlier.)
Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu May 27, 2010 2:28 am

I think Jim is right too. Chcikasaw plum, Prunus angustifolia - or maybe mexicana. My 2 cents.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Fri May 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Just wait till the fruit is done growing, then eat it. Smile
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri May 28, 2010 3:54 pm

Fruit on either of those plums is pretty sour. You can make wonderful jam, though, if you have enough.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down