Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it?

+10
Hawaiian77
zooloo10
Todd Ellis
Mike Pollock
littleart-fx
Seth Ellwood
F. Waheedy
JimLewis
Curtis
Randy_Davis
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it?

Post  Randy_Davis Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:19 pm

moyogijohn wrote:..how do you get by potting this time of year ?? take care john

John,

It's one of the advantages of having a good greenhouse where you can controll the environment. With the warmer than usual winter this year, I'm pretty sure I'll be doing more early repottng than usual. Besides, I'm bored with nothing else to do!
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? - Page 2 Empty newly dug corkbark elm

Post  moyogijohn Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:37 pm

RANDY,, That is the way to go.. i am bored also .. wish i could do that !!! AGAIN that is a nice tree.. take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:30 am

Pot larger and maybe shallower.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:52 am

I agree the pot is a bit small for the branch structure. But this may be the only pot Randy has large enough at the moment . A oval would do this tree more justice and give the apperance of a massive ancient tree. I love the way through carving you were able to make very convincing taper to the top portion of the tree Excellent work .How is the other one doing ??

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Seth Ellwood wrote:I agree the pot is a bit small for the branch structure. But this may be the only pot Randy has large enough at the moment . A oval would do this tree more justice and give the apperance of a massive ancient tree. I love the way through carving you were able to make very convincing taper to the top portion of the tree Excellent work .How is the other one doing ??

Seth and Billy,

Yeah, maybe a larger pot would be nicer, but as Seth commented, it's the only pot I had on hand that was large enough. I'll keep my eyes open for a new container for it but in the mean time this will have to do. The other tree is doing just fine, I'm growing the canopy out a bit on it this year so it may be repotted into a container next year if I can afford to buy a nicer pot for both trees.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? - Page 2 Empty newly dug cork bark elm

Post  moyogijohn Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:36 am

RANDY ,, again i post !! as Seth says if you repot,a oval pot would be my pick... i really like the round pot maybe a little bigger so you could turn it around to get sun all around...make sence maybe not !!! great tree take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 am

Yeah, maybe a larger pot would be nicer, but as Seth commented, it's the only pot I had on hand that was large enough. I'll keep my eyes open for a new container for it but in the mean time this will have to do. The other tree is doing just fine, I'm growing the canopy out a bit on it this year so it may be repotted into a container next year if I can afford to buy a nicer pot for both trees. [/quote]

Or you can pm me a price for the other one and I will gladly take it off your hands . I have several large semi shallow ovals from the east??? as well as mica and others.HEHE....

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi Randy,
You haven't mentioned your future plans.....but ...just my opinion on the current version....... the branch structure reminds me of a conifer rather than a large deciduous tree. I'm sure that the branches have more movement in them than the 2d photo suggests but looking at the photos of the oak tree the branches go up, out and down forming a canopy dome/circle (or half moon) rather than a triangle. Just wondering.
Cheers
Graham
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:40 pm

gman wrote:Hi Randy,
You haven't mentioned your future plans.....but ...just my opinion on the current version....... the branch structure reminds me of a conifer rather than a large deciduous tree. I'm sure that the branches have more movement in them than the 2d photo suggests but looking at the photos of the oak tree the branches go up, out and down forming a canopy dome/circle (or half moon) rather than a triangle. Just wondering.
Cheers
Graham

Graham,

Over the long haul (10 + years) this tree will loose it's triangular shape that it currently has and become more dome like. The original design and branch selection was not done with a "natural oak or elm shape" in mind. However the upper tiered branches will grow out longer, get thicker with smaller branch ramification and will be slanted downward as much as possible. If I don't get enough canopy growth in the current container which I'm sure will be the case, I'll put it back into the larger training container for a few more years of canopy work. One is never sure how they will come out in the end (there never really is an end). I only put it into a nicer pot this year so I can put it into a show or two for the first time.

Seth,
Not sure what I'm going to do with the other elm other than let it grow out a bit more. I have no specific plans for it at the moment. I'm sure at some point I'll get rid of it but Im not at that point quite yet.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Just thought I'd post a pic of the final product of this project!!!! I'll be considering a new pot for this tree next year, probably black in color to go along with it's name sake "Tree of woe"!. This was a very fun project even if it did take 2 years to complete.

Newly dug Corkbark elm - what would you do with it? - Page 2 Dsc00111

ta ta for now gang! Other projects are underway and in need of attention!
R
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:29 am

Wonderful!!! I love the emotion the tree gives me ancient ,powerful,majestic.Nice job randy

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  misfit1 Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi, Randy,
I really like this tree and am impressed with what you've done in two years. It definitely evokes the image of a stately oak tree with that powerful trunk and base! My only suggestion would be to possibly remove the existing apex and go for a more rounded canopy rather that the pointed one that you have now. I think it would make the tree appear to be like a more ancient specimen.

Great work and keep us posted on the development.

Cory
misfit1
misfit1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2