Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lichen frenzy

+4
fiona
littleart-fx
Paul Landis
bobby little
8 posters

Go down

lichen frenzy Empty lichen frenzy

Post  bobby little Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:33 pm

all over one side of my larch, which is the only presentable tree I've got. Is this a problem as far as the tree's health is concerned? I think it looks pretty groovy myself.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

lichen frenzy Empty Re: lichen frenzy

Post  Paul Landis Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:02 am

Lichen good........moss and algae bad. Lichen is not parasitic in any way, takes along time to develop and imparts a feeling of age.
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:13 am

how can I tell the difference between algae and lichen then?
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:20 am

Hi mr little, may i ask what is lichen my English is bad?

grtzz m
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:37 am

Hi Machiel. It's the green, sometimes yellowy "stuff" that you find on trees that isn't a moss and isn't a plant. Pronounced lie-chen (the ch is like the ch at the end of loch - as said by a real Scot that is lichen frenzy Icon_wink )

Maybe this will help you, but be warned - it's not easy to talk about lichen without a load of science coming in.

Enjoy!

http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/fungi/lichens.htm
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:46 am

fiona wrote:t. Pronounced lie-chen (the ch is like the ch at the end of loch - as said by a real Scot that is lichen frenzy Icon_wink )

m[/url]

I 've had this debate before ,I call it Lichen with a 'c' for cat. i'm sure you are probably right though. what do i know about words.
I say fungi with a g for gorilla. I have heard it as g for giraffe. Is there a correct way.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Thx fiona! you are a queen
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Smithy wrote:
fiona wrote:t. Pronounced lie-chen (the ch is like the ch at the end of loch - as said by a real Scot that is lichen frenzy Icon_wink )

m[/url]

I 've had this debate before ,I call it Lichen with a 'c' for cat. i'm sure you are probably right though. what do i know about words.
I say fungi with a g for gorilla. I have heard it as g for giraffe. Is there a correct way.

I would say the same but don't want to confuse people who are fans of the Underworld films.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

lichen frenzy Empty Lichen

Post  bonsaisr Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:03 am

A lichen is a symbiotic structure composed of an alga and a fungus, but it is classified as if it were a single organism. The algae that develop on damp trunks & rocks look like a green film without any structure. They are an indication of too much water & not enough light or air circulation. Moss also sometimes develops under the same conditions. It looks like green fur. If it is on your trunk, brush it off with a stiff brush.
A lichen looks like a tiny branch, a lumpy pebble, a leaf, or something else three dimensional. Lichens may be green, white, yellow, red, brown, or gray, maybe other colors. If they happen to grow on your bonsai, they add to the appearance of age. They are harmless, but I don't know how to attract them on purpose.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  gordonb Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:23 am

bobby little wrote:all over one side of my larch, which is the only presentable tree I've got. Is this a problem as far as the tree's health is concerned? I think it looks pretty groovy myself.

I know a lot of people think it is great, but in NZ we can get it growing so well, it chokes the needles and can stop back-budding on pines and cedars Mad Imparting age is ok, but too much of anything is bad Exclamation

gordonb

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:00 pm

As far as I know, most lichens require very pure air to survive. Having them in abundance in NZ comes as no surprise.

Most are very slow growing, to the point that certain species can be used to age archaeological sites. They start as a small dot, develop into a larger circle and eventually become O shaped and increase in diameter at a fairly steady rate over millennia.

I've got some on the floor of a forest planting that looks very good and a different type on a Larches branches. I'll try to get macro shots.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:58 pm

There are some very good field guides if you don't want a scientific treatise on lichens but do want to know what you're looking at. The best ones I've seen are by the Field Studies Council (you can find the web address FSC HERE ). There is a guide for urban lichens on trees, another on stone and soil as well as a rather splendidly-named one - Graveyard Lichens.

It's a fascinating subject - who'd have thought there were so many types of as I heard it described "that green crud that grows on trees". I do like the sound of urban lichens - metropolitan cool dudes in Armani suits. Wonder if they wear their loafers with or without socks?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down