Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grafted san jose juniper

+8
Fore
Ed van der Reek
luc tran
Harleyrider
Geof
Mike Pollock
Rob Kempinski
peter keane
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Grafted san jose juniper Empty Grafted san jose juniper

Post  peter keane Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:00 pm

I acquired this san jose juniper from my teacher, Colin Lewis, back in the winter of 2005. It had been collected about eighteen months prior. The only work I had done that time was to prune unwanted branches and expose deadwood.

With this san jose, the foliage was too far from the trunk for a compact design. It was also a mixture of juvenile and mature. The goal was to graft blaauw's foliage closer to the trunk. The blaauw's would give a nice color and have consistent mature foliage.

I left the tree alone for an entire year to allow it to build up strength. In February of 2007, I grafed about 25 to 30 shoots. As this had been my first grafting experience, I lost about two thirds of the blaauw's shoots. in February of 2008, I replaced many of what was lost.

Grafted san jose juniper Dscn4610
Grafted san jose juniper Dscn4710
Grafted san jose juniper Dscn8310
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Grafted san jose juniper Empty Re: Grafted san jose juniper

Post  peter keane Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:10 pm

During the summer of 2007, I placed the plant into the larger container, to encourage the shoots to push hard. In 2009, I began removing the san jose foliage gradually over the course of the growing season. Last month, I felt confident that the blaauw's shoots would survive on the san jose stock plant, so, I pruned away what was left of the original foliage. As the sap lines continue to consolidate, the deadwood revealed is amazing! I'd like to reduce the pot size, as this one is so damn heavy.

Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0011
Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0012
Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0013

Last edited by peter on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong information)
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Bravo on your approach. I believe so many more trees, especially conifers, would be much better bonsai in the long term if grafting were used to put foliage closer to the focal point instead of excessively bending the branches. It really is a matter of patience - grafting is a longer approach but usually results in a better tree. Some of these yamadori trees we see would be better bonsai if the styling of the branches did not look like the wires behind my stereo cabinet.

Can you show with lines where you put the grafts? Did you graft branches any close to the trunk - looks like all are at the ends of the whips.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:06 am

Hi Rob

Here are some old images that may show what you want. You can also look at the third picture above. I've also included one shot last May that has the san jose foliage before reducing it.

Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0110
Grafted san jose juniper Dscn0710
Grafted san jose juniper Img00710
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Grafted san jose juniper Empty Bravo Peter

Post  Mike Pollock Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:13 am

Looks like a fabulous start to a tree with a real future.

I second Rob; it's great to see someone taking the quality approach over that of the quick result. Can't wait to see it in the future.
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Grafted san jose juniper Empty Re: Grafted San Jose Juniper

Post  Geof Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi Peter,
Nice material! I was just curious what method you used to graft the new foliage on? I have been thinking of doing the same thing on a Juniper I have. I traded a stand for a Juniper with dead wood that I did some carving on, but the tree was once really long and was bent round and round. Nick suggested I graft some shoots on to get the foliage closer to the trunk. I also just grafted a shoot on a Pine so we will see if it takes.
I can show you the Juniper when you are here for the Sandro event!
See ya soon,
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi Geoff

The method I used is either called bud grafting, or side-veneer grafting. It's explained in a book I use for reference called "The Grafter's Handbook" by R.J. Garner and published by the Royal Horticultural Society. Here are a some examples of how the grafting was done.

Grafted san jose juniper Dscn8311
Grafted san jose juniper Dscn8312
Grafted san jose juniper Dscn8313
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:22 pm

if the styling of the branches did not look like the wires behind my stereo cabinet.

Laughing Good to see it's not just me who suffers with excess cables!

Nice one, Rob. That little gem made me chuckle for ages!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Geof Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the close ups. This is the same method I used on my Pine. I have heard of using the spagnum moss to keep the shoot moist did those shoots take better than others? Or was it more hit or miss?
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Post  Geof Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Peter,
This is the Juniper I may do the same thing to.
Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_7612
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:34 am

Hi Geof. it was mainly hit or miss (with cambium). If that's a scopulorum, you may want to try itoigawa foliage since it's better in our climate. You might want to use kishu shimpaku, too, since the color would be closer to the original. I find rocky mountain foliage to be problematic with phomopsis tip blight in our wet, cloudy weather. With side-veneer grafting, keep in mind that the phloem layer for rocky mountain juniper is somewhat thick.
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Yesterday, I spent some time cleaning up the exfoliating bark with a pick, rather than brushing. This is looking nice Cool

Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0022
Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0023
Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0111
Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0024
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Great tree Peter. Wonderful character. When are you hoping to give it it's first styling?

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks Will. I've done some directional wiring last year. I'll probably do more later this year. As the grafts grow out, I'm sure there will be some to remove. I've also grafted two more shoots last month that are in ideal places. Hopefully, they will take.
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:57 am

I've finished all the work I care to do this season (exposing/cleaning/bleaching deadwood, wiring). Now, I just need to find the right pot. Would IBC members have any ideas? Thanks

Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0110

Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0111
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  luc tran Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:33 am

Have you removed the tape and wire around the graft? If you have can you show us a close up picture of the graft? Im curious to see what the integrated structure looks like after the graft takes. I've never graft before so am curious.

Thank you. Good luck with the tree.
Luc

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:34 am

i would contact vic over at erin pottery and get a custom pot for the tree. he's making one for a larch i have. great work

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:20 am

luc tran wrote:Have you removed the tape and wire around the graft? If you have can you show us a close up picture of the graft? Im curious to see what the integrated structure looks like after the graft takes. I've never graft before so am curious.

Thank you. Good luck with the tree.
Luc

I had planned on replying to your questions earlier, but, I forgot. I'm sorry....

anyway. here's something that can be helpful to you. The first image is of a grafted blaauw's shoot about a year after applying it to the san jose rootstock. the callus is at the base of the shoot. The second image shows a freshly stripped blaauw's shoot. As I had more than enough grafts on the juniper, I didn't need this one. You can see the graft seam between the old and new jins...

Grafted san jose juniper Dsc00911

Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0047
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed van der Reek Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi Peter,something like this Very Happy
Gr Ed
Grafted san jose juniper Virtua10
Ed van der Reek
Ed van der Reek

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Ed. that's a great shape and color. however, the roots of my tree will not allow it to fit in that shaped pot.
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Awesome Job Peter! I love it! Also curious, does that line where the graft was put (pic one) go away with time?
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Here are the most recent shots of graft unions I have. They were taken in 6/11. The first image is an update of the live shoot posted earlier. You can see that the transition from the san jose stock plant to the blaauw's shoots are quite smooth. That is achieved by reducing the san jose foliage gradually, rather than in one abrupt pruning. Otherwise, you'll get noticeable bumps.

Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0048

Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0049

Grafted san jose juniper Dsc_0050
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Cockroach Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:00 am

I am very impressed with what you have done with the tree. Great Job
Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Post  quatrefi Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Waouh, perfect, good job!!!

quatrefi

Back to top Go down

Post  luc tran Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Wow it looks amazing as if it was always there. I cannot see the graft at all.

Luc

luc tran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next