Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yama Goyomatsu

+7
Todd Ellis
Paul Landis
Smithy
F. Waheedy
harry dovey
Pavel Slovák
ybonsai
11 posters

Go down

Yama Goyomatsu Empty Yama Goyomatsu

Post  ybonsai Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:29 pm

I want to show you a yamadori White pine of my collection that i styled in may 2008.

Here are some pictures of the tree before.

Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4010
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4011
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4012
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4013

So I tilted the tree to the front for a better movement and the nebari looked not bad for a pine in this position, plus you can see the start of the lifevein.

Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4014

After the position was right for me, we could search for the line between dead and life,cleaning the deadwood,remove rotten wood with a iron brush on a proxxon and do some work on the deadwood to make a better movement in the trunk.
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4015
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4017
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4110
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4111
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4112

I only burn the deadwood that has been worked on, it's a shame to spoil what nature made.
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4114

Then I made the deadwood wet so the wood will take the jin seal better.
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4115

Applying the Jinseal.
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4116

After the cleaning , the wiring and the styling of the tree could begin.
Some big branches had to be bend and it was only possible with a guywire.
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4117

Some branches were so stiff i had to apply some raffia.
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4118

the tree after the wiring.
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4210

And the styling can begin.
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4211
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4212

The endresult.
Yama Goyomatsu _jdn4310

The tree a week ago, repotted and rewired.
Yama Goyomatsu Euk_pi10

Greetings,
Yannick

ybonsai

Back to top Go down

Yama Goyomatsu Empty Re: Yama Goyomatsu

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi Yannick.

Beautiful Pine dynamic. Great work with negative space. Congratulations. ThumbsUp

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  harry dovey Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:40 pm

very nice Very Happy
harry dovey
harry dovey

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Hello Yannick,

Gorgeous tree beautifully styled. Very creative work.

Regds,

Faisal
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:20 pm

That was a really good transformation.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Landis Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:00 am

Beautiful tree!! Thanks for sharing it...especially the progression shots.
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:45 am

Yannick, A very pretty tree and nice lines. I loved your progression photos. Very Happy What part of the world do you live? And how did you acquire this tree? Where was it collected? Thank you. Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:09 am

Most excellent. I would love to have, or even see this tree! Somewhat unusual styling for a white pine I think - seems more typical of a red pine perhaps, but doesn't matter. I love it.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:07 am

thumbs up ThumbsUp
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  sixhunter Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:31 am

beautiful ! cyclops Like a Star @ heaven
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  ybonsai Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:Yannick, A very pretty tree and nice lines. I loved your progression photos. Very Happy What part of the world do you live? And how did you acquire this tree? Where was it collected? Thank you. Regards, Todd
Hello Todd ,

I live in Belgium Smile
The goyomatsu(specie kokonoe) is an import tree from Japan that came over in Januari 2008,where they have collected i wouldn't know but maybe I can ask to the person who imported from Japan to here ,where in Japan the tree was collected.

@Velodog2 then you have to come over to Belgium some day Laughing

@The others thank you for youre nice compliment Very Happy

Greetings,
Yannick

ybonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi Yannick.

Great tree, thanks for sharing.

My understanding has always been that 'kokonoe' is one of the dwarf five-needle pine cultivars. 'Zuisho' is another and is actually preferred to 'kokonoe'. Both have short, dark green needles but 'zuisho' has a better (more suitable for bonsai) growth habit. The candles of both really elongate and the new growth ends up looking like a bottle brush if you don't stay on them.

I haven't had any contact with goyomatsu in over 20 years because of my climate, but your tree's foliage is NOTHING like 'kokonoe'. It reminds me of the trees I saw that came from the Nasu area near Nikko.

Russell

Last edited by Russell Coker on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:35 am

ybonsai wrote:
Todd Ellis wrote:Yannick, A very pretty tree and nice lines. I loved your progression photos. Very Happy What part of the world do you live? And how did you acquire this tree? Where was it collected? Thank you. Regards, Todd
Hello Todd ,

I live in Belgium Smile
The goyomatsu(specie kokonoe) is an import tree from Japan that came over in Januari 2008,where they have collected i wouldn't know but maybe I can ask to the person who imported from Japan to here ,where in Japan the tree was collected.

@Velodog2 then you have to come over to Belgium some day Laughing

@The others thank you for youre nice compliment Very Happy

Greetings,
Yannick

Thank you, Yannick!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:40 am

Russell Coker wrote:Hi Yannick.

Great tree, thanks for sharing.

My understanding has always been that 'kokonoe' is one of the dwarf five-needle pine cultivars. 'Zuisho' is another and is actually preferred to 'kokonoe'. Both have short, dark green needles but 'zuisho' has a better (more suitable for bonsai) growth habit. The candles of both really elongate and the new growth ends up looking like a bottle brush if you don't stay on them.

I haven't had any contact with goyomatsu in over 20 years because of my climate, but your tree's foliage is NOTHING like 'kokonoe'. It reminds me of the trees I saw that came from the Nasu area near Nikko.

Russell

Russell, how did you manage to learn about the different types of pines in Japan? There is a Zushio grower in Lynchburg, VA named Julian Adams. I had the opportunity to watch him repot a cutting. I hope to grow a white pine one day. I hope to visit Japan and Chinaone day too. Smile Julian told me that Zushio grows faster than most other white pines. I have to save my pennies for a nice pine. Thanks for the info! Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:21 am

Todd,

For a country the size of Japan, the geographical variations of five-needle pines is amazing. Colors vary from darkish green (Nasu) to medium green (Fukushima) to blue green (Shikoku) to silver blue (Miyajima). Needles also vary from short and straight to (too) long and twisted. And don't think for a minute that if a good tree is collected with undesirable foliage that it won't get changed out by grafting.

I've wondered about trying 'zuisho' here in my climate just because it is so strong. It is definately the best of the dwarf cultivars and would be the only one I'd consider - if I could get one CHEAP!!!

I lived in Japan and studied bonsai for 3 years back in the mid '80's.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:41 am

Russell Coker wrote:Todd,

For a country the size of Japan, the geographical variations of five-needle pines is amazing. Colors vary from darkish green (Nasu) to medium green (Fukushima) to blue green (Shikoku) to silver blue (Miyajima). Needles also vary from short and straight to (too) long and twisted. And don't think for a minute that if a good tree is collected with undesirable foliage that it won't get changed out by grafting.

I've wondered about trying 'zuisho' here in my climate just because it is so strong. It is definately the best of the dwarf cultivars and would be the only one I'd consider - if I could get one CHEAP!!!

Russell

That's amazing Russell. It is something that many of us dream about. Thank you for the info.
Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  ybonsai Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:20 pm

Russell Coker wrote:Todd,

Russell

Hello Russel,

That's really nice, who was youre sensei?

I allso try to go to Japan after my studies, it's like a dream for me:)

ybonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down