Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall '09 Kusamono

3 posters

Go down

Fall '09 Kusamono Empty Fall '09 Kusamono

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Fall '09 Kusamono Feb_el12

This is my Kusamono (Fall '09) which has been growing for three years. It is planted with Japanese Blood Grass, wild collected violets, sedum, a mini iris, various collected mosses and other weeds that the elements brings. It is planted in a coral boat/bowl which has drainage. I feed it with "kelp juice", fish emulsion and 20-20-20. The grass is very tall at this time of year and the violets very large, but I like the colors.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Fall '09 Kusamono Empty Re: Fall '09 Kusamono

Post  Chris Cochrane Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi Todd... Nice.

Considering the white stuff inundating Gordonsville today, how is your 3-year old mixed planting being nursed? Do you separate the parts each winter for individual care?
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi Chris,
Thank you.
I haven't separated them. I just pull the dead leaves and prune the grass and put the entire bowl in mulch under the benches with the other trees. It seems to do fine. Then, in Spring, I watch it grow. The violets really spread, so I end up pulling many of them out.
We have about 12-14" of the white stuff at our address. I'm praying for the big thaw to come SOON! affraid
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:21 am

Thanks, Todd. Can you share a photo of your benches winter that reveals exposure to the elements? A planted pot of coral must need substantial protection from freezing. You've found a balance that I have yet to achieve with overwintering fragile companion plants. Some struggle through, but at cost to vigor.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:02 am

Hi Chris,
I don't have a photo but will try to get out to the benches sometime this week. Basically, I have a picnic table against a cinder block garage, which faces northeast. I put my small trees (mame and shohin), this year's rooted (hopefully) cuttings and various accents, and the one kusamono. They seem to do fine. They get snowed upon, plus endure what ever else Mother Nature has to give. They are insulated well with the fine-pine mulch. This is the first year with "this much snow". I anticipate that they will continue to prosper (fingers crossed).
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Morea Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:12 am

Dear Todd

Very nice Your natural kusamono.
On the picture i see some light bleu little dotty flowers(?)
in the blower part of the pot and planting.
Would like to ask You what they are ?

Kind regards
Morea
Morea
Morea

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi Morea,
The blue flowers are sedum. I don't know the variety, but they grow and spread and add nice color and texture. They are hardy in zones 6-7 and delite me every year. Thank you for your kind words. Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Fall '09 Kusamono Empty Winter Storage

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 pm

The Kusamono is under the split picnic table, Chris. My small trees (mame and shohin), this year's rooted (hopefully) cuttings and various accents, and the one kusamono. They seem to do fine. They get snowed upon, plus endure what ever else Mother Nature has to give. They are insulated well with the fine-pine mulch. This is the first year with "this much snow". I anticipate that they will continue to prosper (fingers crossed).

Fall '09 Kusamono Winter12

Fall '09 Kusamono Winter13

Fall '09 Kusamono Winter14
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down