Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trimming back the first years growth on a Hawthorn - HD Movie

+4
littleart-fx
Mario Stefano
Pavel Slovák
bobby little
8 posters

Go down

Trimming back the first years growth on a Hawthorn - HD Movie Empty Trimming back the first years growth on a Hawthorn - HD Movie

Post  Guest Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Here is a short movie of me! Trimming back the first years growth on a Hawthorn that I cut back in March last year.

I am preparing the tree in the ground… and will collect the tree April 2011.

This movie is using the super little Canon Ixus 120IS

Back to top Go down

Trimming back the first years growth on a Hawthorn - HD Movie Empty Re: Trimming back the first years growth on a Hawthorn - HD Movie

Post  bobby little Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 pm

I thought that looked familiar. I dug it up yesterday. Sorry chap. it's in my hoose in coventry now Very Happy
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Trimming back the first years growth on a Hawthorn - HD Movie Empty Re: Trimming back the first years growth on a Hawthorn - HD Movie

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi Tony.

Super, thanks for the demo. Very Happy ThumbsUp

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:15 pm

Tony wrote:
...Trimming back the first years growth on a Hawthorn that I cut back in March last year.
I am preparing the tree in the ground… and will collect the tree April 2011.

Prepare all the trees in nature through the years or just a Hawthorn? Why?
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Tony, do you prepare the root ball as wel ?
Cutting back now saves time in futhere so design is done faster?

just some questions that came up.

And yeah, bought a camera to "olympus pen reflex toy"
Its amazing what technology does these days..... .

Grtzz m
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 pm

Mario Stefano wrote:Prepare all the trees in nature through the years or just a Hawthorn? Why?

Hi Mario, There are only a few trees that I prepare in the ground, they are all Hawthorns and it is only the top growth. I find that I can grow the new branch structure very quickly if I cut back and regrow where I want the branches. Hawthorns respond well to hard pruning. I have been using this technique for many years and it has proved to work well for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:04 pm

Tony wrote:
Hi Mario, There are only a few trees that I prepare in the ground, they are all Hawthorns and it is only the top growth. I find that I can grow the new branch structure very quickly if I cut back and regrow where I want the branches. Hawthorns respond well to hard pruning. I have been using this technique for many years and it has proved to work well for me.

I have several Hawthorn in pots. After kolektig they are very slow restoration crown in his first season, only in the second and third season starts roaring growth. Maybe your technique to cut back the tree right solution! I will try. Thanks Tony!
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  andy mcconnell Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:15 pm

tony
you sure thats you in the video...some parts seem a little smaller than in your avatar affraid
nice tree i also do this with elms and hawthorns doesnt work on our native maples though
andy Very Happy
andy mcconnell
andy mcconnell

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:25 am

G'day Tony...

I really like your precision trimming tool...what's it called? Where can I get one?

Pat…mounted on my trusted stead, riding off wildly in all directions…
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:19 am

bonsaistud wrote:I really like your precision trimming tool...what's it called? Where can I get one?

Pat you are so cruel... at this stage 'styling' is not on the agenda until the tree is lifted... I have no idea what is happening below ground level.

Cutting back hard the areas I want to develop, removing all growth on the inside of curves and thinning growth that would develop into a clump is the objective at this stage...Bonsai is a slow considered process... a "precision trimming tool" is used many years down the line Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

I am sure Pat will respond.

Just as soon as he removes his tongue from his cheek! Trimming back the first years growth on a Hawthorn - HD Movie Icon_biggrin
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Tony, Tony, Tony...

"...Pat you are so cruel...a 'precision trimming tool' is used many years down the line..."

I'll remember you said that, many years down the road...if I live long enough...

So sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

Pat…mounted on my trusted stead, riding off wildly in all directions…
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:09 am

Hi Tony,

How is this Haw?
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down