Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

number 306

3 posters

Go down

number 306 Empty number 306

Post  bobby little Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:36 pm

did I hear (see) somebody say (type) that conifers don't survive if you cut them below the foliage? Does this apply to all? I was walking the tripod yesta=erday and found a stump somebody had recently chucked away - still had plenty of fibrous roots, and a quick scratch test sugested it was alive (probably frozen like captain america in the arctic). Would it be worth going back to retrieve if or should I get me coat?
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

number 306 Empty number 306

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Your coat might be the way forward with this one.

Back to top Go down

number 306 Empty Re: number 306

Post  bobby little Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:51 pm

will baddeley wrote:Your coat might be the way forward with this one.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Embarassed
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:36 pm

Unless it's a Yew. can you find out?

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:13 am

Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say and if you are successful in getting it to develop new growth I for one would be very interested to hear how you did it. Go for it and good luck! Smile
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Far from nothing ventured, I would say. Digging it out and boxing it up is more than likely to be a total waste of considerable effort.

That said, a Yew could sprout, as Will intimated. Almost any other conifer will not. If it is a yew, you should see pale yellow sapwood under the reddish bark and an almost equal proportion of purplish/red heartwood. Is there any sign of dead foliage on the ground? If so, what shape is it?
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:Far from nothing ventured, I would say. Digging it out and boxing it up is more than likely to be a total waste of considerable effort.

That said, a Yew could sprout, as Will intimated. Almost any other conifer will not. If it is a yew, you should see pale yellow sapwood under the reddish bark and an almost equal proportion of purplish/red heartwood. Is there any sign of dead foliage on the ground? If so, what shape is it?

not a yew. the foliage didn't resemble it at all.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:50 pm

I'd conserve your energy and space then. Keep a keen eye and eventually you will turn up something much more worthwhile.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down