Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dormant Spray

5 posters

Go down

Dormant Spray Empty Dormant Spray

Post  jjbacoomba Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:34 am

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!! This is my first Bonsai winter. I have read that a mixture of lime sulfur and water are used during winter to help control pests and diseases. My question is, when using a mixture of Lime Sulfur and water, is just the foliage sprayed? What about the soil? Whats the best ratio of Lime Sulfur and water to use? I have 3 Junipers , 2 Tridents , a Cape Honeysuckle and a Yaupon Holly. Thanks, Joe
jjbacoomba
jjbacoomba

Back to top Go down

Dormant Spray Empty Re: Dormant Spray

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:07 am

Different sources cite dilutions between 1:25 to 1:50. That's one of Lime-Sulphur to twenty five of water etc. I've not used it myself but watched Japanese nurserymen inverting large potted bonsai and dunking them into huge barrels of it. They held them, with the soil out of the mixture for a few seconds and then righted them and put them back on the bench. They were doing this in February.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Applying lime sulfur as a winter drench in those (or any) proportions fits well into the FWIW* department.

*For What It's Worth = not much
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Lime sulfur is a fungicide, so it's going to be effective at temperatures when fungi are active. It's also a preventative spray, so it has to be applied before fungi penetrate foliage. That would make early spring the best time to apply.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  jjbacoomba Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks everyone!!
jjbacoomba
jjbacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:15 am

Nina...any guidance on dilution ratio for the lime sulfur?
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

I don't have a bottle handy. I follow the label. I know some people have lime sulfur that they siphoned out of someone's bottle decades ago and use straight up for jin and shari!

Nina

Back to top Go down

Dormant Spray Empty dormant spray

Post  jjbacoomba Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 am

jjbacoomba
jjbacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down