Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olive & Wild Olive light spots on leaves

4 posters

Go down

Olive & Wild Olive light spots on leaves Empty Olive & Wild Olive light spots on leaves

Post  jakriek Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:46 pm

My olive and wild olive trees has had some type of insects pulling the green out of the leaves last year. I was wondering what prevention i could use to prevent the leaves from getting these white spots and then drying out.

jakriek

Back to top Go down

Olive & Wild Olive light spots on leaves Empty Olive spots on leaves

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Are you sure it is an insect? Could be mites. Do you see evidence of webbing? Can you post a close-up picture?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Olive & Wild Olive light spots on leaves Empty Re: Olive & Wild Olive light spots on leaves

Post  Nina Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:12 pm

If you're in South Africa, I probably can't help you with an insect problem. In the US, a pale circular spot can be caused by the feeding of true bugs (That is, sucking insects in the Hemiptera). There's no easy fix for that because bugs fly in, feed, and fly out. On the other hand, they usually don't do great damage. You need to see the actual insect, then you'll have a better idea of how to control it.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Olive & Wild Olive light spots on leaves Empty Re: Olive & Wild Olive light spots on leaves

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:08 pm

You have Thrips. Go to your local nursery and ask for a spray to knock em off. Damaged leaves can be removed, or left on the tree. Once the insects have been killed, the spots will not spread, but just look terible. When you see new growth on the olive, cut the leaves off right at the base, being carefuly not to damage the dormant bud, and you should get a nice new crop of shiny leaves to replace the damaged ones.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down