Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bangkok 2009

5 posters

Go down

Bangkok 2009 Empty Bangkok 2009

Post  Jerry Meislik Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:32 am

Just some more shots of the 2009 Asia Pacific Bonsai Friendship Federation.
http://bonsaihunk.us/info/APBFF2009/
Hope you enjoy.
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Bangkok 2009 Empty Re: Bangkok 2009

Post  jrodriguez Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:47 am

Jerry,

Thanks for posting these images of the ABFF (Asian Bonsai Friendship Federation) show. I recognize several of the ficus microcarpa on display, particularly the one in the rectangle dragon pot. It's creator and owner for the past 30 years was my good friend Mr. Chang Yang Chin, of Nantou County, Taiwan. He sold it to a Thailandese about two yeas ago.

Most of the microcarpa you see on display are of Taiwanese origin. The true gems of the Thailand bonsai world are the Black Tiger trees (Diospyros) and the Ficus Benjamina.

Again, thanks for posting.

Kind regards,
Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi, Jerry:

Glad you had a safe trip there and back...thank you for posting these wonderful and inspirational trees...world class indeed.

Best regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Jose Louis, thanks for your kind comments and background information on the trees. As you indicate the Thai's are making great bonsai with their own native materials like Ficus benjamina, Ficus virens, Vitex etc.
Tom, appreciate your thoughts.
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:17 pm

Jerry,

Yep!!! I forgot to mention the sand paper ficus (Ficus Virens). I really like that species, particularly when it changes color.

I am really sad i missed the show. It would have been great to see my good friend Lao Pan (big boss) Montri. He is a great person and an excellent bonsai man.

Kind Regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  William Feldman Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:13 pm

jrodriguez wrote:The true gems of the Thailand bonsai world are the Black Tiger trees (Diospyros) and the Ficus Benjamina.

Is the Black Tiger tree Diospyros vaccinioides? I'm surprised there is a persimmon with such a tiny leaf.
William Feldman
William Feldman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:46 pm

No the small leaves are a dwarf form grafted on Diospyros rhodocalyx trunks. Makes a very impressive tree with such small leaves. The Diospyros grows slowly at best but the dwarf form is even slower!
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Bangkok 2009 Empty re: Bangkok 2009

Post  hibonsai Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:05 am

Jerry,

Thank you very much for sharing your pictures! I was wondering if the 2009 Asia Pacific Bonsai Friendship Federation is an annual show held in Bangkok. Last year I went to Thailand, but didn't know where to go to see Bonsai, so I was hoping to see Thai Bonsai on my next trip out there, especially a Bonsai Show.

Mike Arakaki
Hawaii

hibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:54 am

Jerry,

There is a Disopyros species in Indonesia with very small leaves and round fruit. The botanical name is Diospyros Montana and the local Indonesian name is Mustam. I believe it is one of the best persimmon species for bonsai.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Mike, the APBFF is every two years I believe. I think the next meeting will be in the Philippines in 2011.
Jose Louis, thanks for the information on the Diospyros. It is a species with which I have minimal familiarity. I tried for over 10 years to grow Diospyros rhodocalyx and ultimately its slow growth frustrated me so that I gave up on it.
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down