Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What type tree for this style pot?

3 posters

Go down

What type tree for this style pot? Empty What type tree for this style pot?

Post  Recoil Rob Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:25 pm

My problem is trying find the right tree for the pot.

I have three small  (4x4")un-glazed tan pots with fine black line drawings (style below), they may even be transfer-wear, not sure to go deciduous or evergreen. I considered small junipers...thoughts?

What type tree for this style pot? Img_7318

Recoil Rob

Back to top Go down

What type tree for this style pot? Empty Re: What type tree for this style pot?

Post  BrendanR Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:19 pm

The pot will compete with the tree as there is a lot going on visually.

The species in not so important. What you need is a tree that has a really simple structure. Complex curves, deadwood etc will be missed with that pot. A basic broom style chinese elm would be my starting point.

BrendanR

Recoil Rob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Recoil Rob Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:25 pm

Thanks Brendan, that's a great starting point, I'll try it.

Recoil Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Michigander Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:44 am

Bonsai can be like a art flick on black and white TV in Czech with captions in English, or it can be like a full-tilt-boogie Broadway show and dinner theater with a great cooks and fine wines.  I choose the later and at shows where there is a vote by the public for favorite tree, you have to beat me.  I come with nice trees, mat & stand, accent mat & stand, scroll, fine, interesting pots for both, and rocks, mudmen and driftwood, all of every size and description cleverly and artistically incorporated.  I provide a whole sideshow to the visitors and I will eat your lunch.  Compared to the plain Jane Black Pine display that the viewer will walk past slowly, -but not stop and look at for any length of time, I give the public lots to see and discover and hold their interest.  I'm not Japanese and I don't have their stoic demeanor.  I don't find fault with them, or their outlook, or certainly their trees which are the standard by which all others are measured.  I practice a bonsai more in the image of the Vietnamese: visual feasts.  Eye candy.  In America, an American version of bonsai and the American public loves it.  The shows are for the public, put on by clubs that do it for the money raised and to attract new members.  I want to display what the public would like to have for themselves.   Somebody else will win the judged part which only considers the standard fare.  That works for me.  I love bonsai, have fun, and enjoy myself perhaps more than I should. tongue
Michigander
Michigander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down