Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nursery Stock - Scots pine

2 posters

Go down

Nursery Stock - Scots pine Empty Nursery Stock - Scots pine

Post  anderson.ccm Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:20 pm

I need help with this Scots pine that was given to me.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Nursery Stock - Scots pine Img_5915

anderson.ccm

Back to top Go down

Nursery Stock - Scots pine Empty Nursery Stock - Scots pine

Post  anderson.ccm Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Nursery Stock - Scots pine Img_5916

anderson.ccm

Back to top Go down

Nursery Stock - Scots pine Empty Re: Nursery Stock - Scots pine

Post  Marty Weiser Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:57 am

I would probably cut the main trunk off above the first branch whorl and train one of the branches up as a new leader and the other as a first branch. Views from a couple of more angles, preferably at the level of the first whorl would allow some advice on which one to train upward. Bend the smaller trunk to compliment the movement of the new main trunk.

I know this is a very drastic change and results in a long term project. However the reasons I give this advice are:
- the trunk sections are long, straight, and equal length,
- the main trunk does not have any taper,
- the each whorl has two or three branches that will result in swelling at that location,
- the branches at the lowest whorl are on the inside of the curve,

If you chose to take this drastic approach cut the trunk just below the second whorl and use the stub to pull the new leader up. This will also prevent die back of the trunk past the first whorl. It can be cut back next year with a slopped cut to give the start of the transition to the new leader. This approach will require the use of a sacrifice top and creation of well placed branches along the new trunks, but Scots pines bud back well with the proper techniques.

I am interested in what others have as suggestions or their comments on my suggestion.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Nursery Stock - Scots pine Empty NURSERY STOCK - SCOTS PINE

Post  anderson.ccm Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:30 am

Thanks for the feedback. It is along the lines I was thinking. This tree is a learning tree for me so I think I will give it a try and see if I can't get it into some assemblance of a bonsai.

anderson.ccm

Back to top Go down

Nursery Stock - Scots pine Empty Re: Nursery Stock - Scots pine

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down