Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another blackthorn

+7
Matrix
MartinSweeney
Jay Gaydosh
Lee Kennedy
sulrich
Kev Bailey
fiona
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Another blackthorn - Page 2 Empty Re: Another blackthorn

Post  fiona Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:19 am

Hi Will (and Bev). That is quite splendid. Many thanks.

It's away from the semi-cascade idea but when I see this, I find myself thinking that isn't such a bad thing.

Now. How much does Bev charge for tuition on Photoshop? I need to get moving on that skill as all I can do is extract outlines and do semi-amusing things like stick the boss's head on top of an elephant and so on.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:23 am

will baddeley wrote:Someone else will have to sort out a pot...

Anyone care to take him(me) up on this? Lovely potter friends? Photoshop experts?

Pretty please!!! Very Happy
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:34 am

Come on Lee... We know your there. More the merrier! I'd be interested in your view, as you've studied her in the "flesh", so to speak!!

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:38 am

will baddeley wrote: Come on Lee... I'd be interested in your view
Me too.

will baddeley wrote: as you've studied her in the "flesh", so to speak!!
Just so there is no misunderstanding, he means the tree, dear readers!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:50 am

Re pot choice, I have always been attracted to the style of pot Jerry used in his wonderful blackthorn ( see it here) but I'm not sure how it would adapt to this particular tree of mine (Will and Bev's styling thereof).

Potting up is of course a long way in the future, and my own feeling is the tree would need to have developed really good nebari to look good in this type of pot. Good nebari seriously lacking at present. Comments?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:22 am

As much as I dont want to distract from Fionas post. Here's one of my pots, slightly less formal. I apologise for this post but im high on gigabytes.......My hard drive is immense!!!Another blackthorn - Page 2 Img_0111

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:40 am

Yes.... That is me in the background with a full head of hair, shortly before I got involved with computers!!

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:03 am

Have you posted this tree before, Will? I seem to remember the pot anyway. I like the pot a lot, as I do the combination of pot and your tree. But I think using a pot as chunky as that on my tree would not do. IMHO it works because your tree has substantialy more foliage than mine ever will have. I would suspect that that pot would overshadow the tree. Mine needs soemthing a bit more delicate I think.

re the hair: why not get Bev to Photoshop it all back in again! And is it me or is the "you" in that pic not quite a bit younger? Wink Do you have a DeLorean DMC-12?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:00 am

The reason I posted the pot was more for the texture than the shape. You said you had a semi cascade in mind. Was that what Lee had in mind as well?

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:18 am

The texture on your pot picks up the texture on the bark of your tree wonderfully - in my opinion that is one of the main reasons your tree-pot combination works so well. But, while I can appreciate its contribution to that combination of yours, that particular texture is not really to my taste. I am attracted to the idea of a roughish texture, but not quite like that of your pot. If that makes sense.

Not sure what Lee had in mind. Without putting words into his mouth, I think the issue was there were so many possibilities to choose from. The more I look at your marvellous virt however, the more I am inclined to a more upright upright style.

Thanks again.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  MartinSweeney Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Will,

Do you have a picture of this tree without leaves?

I ask because I like it very much and would appreciate the chance to see it's structure.

Regards,
Martin

MartinSweeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:26 am

Hello Martin. I will post a picture of my Sloe's structure but in a seperate thread. Thought more people would have given their opinions, on a way forward for this excellent piece of material. Its not a competition for the best virt, just very interesting to see how different people would treat this multi faceted tree.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks for that Will - it is a good piece of material and I'm looking forward to working with it. Have done my spell of black pines and things furrin and am now coming down more and more on the side of working with Brit trees. Nature gave us a rich treasure trove on our very own doorsteps after all.

re other takers for virts - think it's the weekend syndrome when everyone's got family things to do. Hopefully someone else will take me(us) up on the challenge. And Lee.... we're still waiting! Very Happy
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:23 am

Well said. I Have been a huge advocate, of our "superb" native species, since the late 90's. For instance, In my opinion, Scots pine,is a better and easier tree than the JBP or JWP,in our environment. Excellent back budding, and more controlled needle length, with the correct feeding/ watering regime.I am lucky enough to have 4 of the truly native caledonian pines! As imports from Asia, have died a death, we need to really start promoting, what is around us!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Matrix Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:30 am

Este es un Ullastre, puede servirte de ejemplo

Another blackthorn - Page 2 Ullast11
Matrix
Matrix

Back to top Go down

Another blackthorn - Page 2 Empty Re. Another Blackthorn

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:26 am

[quote="Matrix"]Este es un Ullastre, puede servirte de ejemplo

"This is an Olive, it can serve as an example". And a very nice example at that. Thanks for posting.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:05 am

Indeed it can - it has very similar movement in the trunk to my Blackthorn.

Do you have pictures of it from other sides Matrix?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 am

will baddeley wrote:Well said. I Have been a huge advocate, of our "superb" native species, since the late 90's. As imports from Asia, have died a death, we need to really start promoting, what is around us!!!
Damn right will, European Natives and in particular UK natives are superb for making into bonsai, I have NO imports, the furthest A tree has traveled to get to me is Sicily... and I have yet to over winter the tree.... Its in my workshop out of the wet wet wet Autumn Rolling Eyes

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  yamadoriman Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:40 pm

will baddeley wrote:Well said. I Have been a huge advocate, of our "superb" native species,
Me too.
Another blackthorn - Page 2 Prunus13

yamadoriman

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:11 pm

I dont really want to jump in on this,seeing as it was one of my babies,and i think once a tree has gone you should let the new owner put there soul into it.
I wouldnt airlayer simply because generally tree's look better with a straight part coming out of the soil and movement further up,at least to my eye anyway.I actually had the pot for this,a ian baillie "kiln disaster" where two turquoise bowls had fell together in the kiln and melted together,the ultimate wabi sabi pot,the beauty of the imperfection is truly a joy.
The tree was going to be a 360 degree tree in a pot with no preferential front(because all are good on both tree and pot).Now for me in normal circumstances tree's must have a front,which they are displayed to the viewer at so with that in mind i was going to persuade doug mudd to make me a rotating turntable.
Because it was going to be a 360 degree tree the foliage would have had to be very simple and BALL like,but i think the joy of the all round movement would have made the simplistic foliage outline forgotten.
The bottom line is though i can do this,i collect my tree's and as such you are not bothered at having oddities in your collection,because there has'nt been a unit of currency exchanged for them other than blood sweat tears(and the odd hernia!)

here is a virt of approx what i'd have done,it would have looked similar all round,this would only have involved one cut to a branch to lower it by 30 degrees and growing on and maybe some thread grafting.
Another blackthorn - Page 2 Hawtho10
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Matrix Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks to Will for translating my words.

I understand Fiona, but I do not have others photos of the tree

Please pardon my writing but I do not speak English and I help myself with a translator
Matrix
Matrix

Back to top Go down

Another blackthorn - Page 2 Empty another, another blackthorn

Post  Jeremy Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Carved my literati blackthorn today.
Another blackthorn - Page 2 Dscf2411
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Lee Kennedy wrote: here is a virt of approx what i'd have done. It would have looked similar all round,and would only have involved one cut to a branch to lower it by 30 degrees and growing on and maybe some thread grafting.

Very many thanks for that, Lee. I now think the answer lies somewhere between your vision and Will's. As stated way back in the thread, I'm not in a hurry to do any sort of styling and a fair degree of the final style decision will of course be made in light of what happens growth-wise over the next year or so.

Thanks to everone for their contributions. Hope the beggar dosn't go and die on me now!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bigsteve Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:20 pm

will baddeley wrote:Yes.... That is me in the background with a full head of hair, shortly before I got involved with computers!!
i can confidently say that when you were that young Will computers were not about and the images would have been in black and white! ha ha nice tree though
bigsteve
bigsteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Finished the virtual late this afternoon but was called back to work, to take someone to A and E. Hope Peter does'nt mind but I borrowed one of his pots for your tree Fiona. Unfortunatly I seem to have cut the bottom of the pot off... Bugger!!Another blackthorn - Page 2 Hawtho12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next