Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frozen Pot, Freshly Watered

+2
Thomas Urban
NolaSteve
6 posters

Go down

Frozen Pot, Freshly Watered Empty Frozen Pot, Freshly Watered

Post  NolaSteve Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Good morning,

Two days ago, I repotted a bonsai from nursey stock into a bonsai pot. It is a Shinjishojo Maple. After trimming the roots, I watered the pot, which was filled with bonsai soil, I also put a layer of moss on top of the soil. Yesterday, I was surpised when the temperture plunged from 35 to 20 degrees in the time while I was out running errands. When I got home, the soil and moss were completely frozen. Like I said, i had just repotted the day before, so the soil was very moist. Do you think the tree is going to be damaged? I have since brought it into the garage.

Like I said, I was quite suprised when the cold front came through because it was supposed to be much warmer. I hope the tree can pull through.

Thank you
Stephen

NolaSteve

Back to top Go down

Frozen Pot, Freshly Watered Empty Re: Frozen Pot, Freshly Watered

Post  Thomas Urban Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Stephan,

Firstly, why did you re-pot when it was 35? I assume fahrenheit? It's still way too early in most places I'd say and it's better to have the leaves a bit open than completely shut dormant buds.

Good move with the garage, if it was a healthy tree before and you didn't take off too much of the roots then maybe it'll make it. Some pictures would help too Smile

Good luck!

Tom
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  NolaSteve Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply. I moved to Oklahoma from New Orleans a few years ago. The weather here is very moody and I am just not used to it. 70 one day, 20 the next. I had read that February was a good time to repot. I will post some photos later . Again, thank you.

Stephen

NolaSteve

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:02 pm

February is a good time to repot.
If you're in Florida.
The best time to repot a maple is when the buds swell but before they open.
Freezing of fresh cut roots isn't good.
I'm doubting it will make it.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  ngc2800 Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 am

do not be worry your maple is fine During the Autumn, the tree stores a mixture of sugars, sugar alcohols and proteins that act as an antifreeze, so whilst the water in the soil may have crystallized into ice, the tree itself is still fluid. It is not until the temperature of the soil drops below -10°C about 14° F that there is a threat of the rootsystem freezing. also the difference between the inside pot temperature from
the outside temperature is 4°C more and as you say it was only for one day so nothing will happen but next time if that happen again for some
reason put the tree in house until all pot ice melt then put it in garage or cold greenhouse and always report when the bud swell even that is not enough because sometimes it happen when bud swell you get another days of freeze temperature and some buds died so if you live in place where weather is moody give your bonsai extra protection if you see the bud swell and you report put it in garage or in your room because at that time dormancy is already finished and you can check weather forecast to make sure everything is alright until late spring freeze pass

ngc2800

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:14 pm

never repot by the calendar Embarassed

at least not without the employment of heat mats or other safety nets Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  dave fish Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:17 pm

I should have used a safety net! I re-potted a bunch of potential material which I then put into an upright cold frame only to come home from work to see that it had been pitched onto its roof over a short wall and had to re sieve and repot all of them! Shocked

dave fish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down