Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anchoring for bending

+5
dorothy7774
Kev Bailey
Dave Murphy
bisjoe
bobby little
9 posters

Go down

anchoring for bending Empty anchoring for bending

Post  bobby little Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:07 pm

those twisty wires for moving bigger branches - sorry can't recall the technical name. Tryng to move a recalcitrant branch, but the tree is in a proper (ish) pot, so not sure what to anchor it to?
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

anchoring for bending Empty Re: anchoring for bending

Post  bisjoe Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:30 pm

There are several options. I have run a cable around the pot, to anchor to. You can also put the pot onto a board and put eye screws in the wood. For bending, some turnbuckles can be handy.

anchoring for bending Turnbuckle
bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:21 pm

I've sometimes been able to feed wires up through the drainage holes to serve as guy wires.

Dave

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:32 pm

There's a technical name? Tourniquet maybe. I assume you mean where you pass a loop around two branches and twist the 2 ends together and then use a "tommy bar" to twist the wires so that they spiral and shorten pulling together the two branches or pulling down the thinner upper branch. If there's no lower branch the drain hole(s) can be used to create an anchor point using a thicker piece of wire. Then the tourniquet can be attached to this and the branch to be moved.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:36 pm

This tecnique, I know as guy wires. A length of wire is bent in two, to make a long u shape.The branch that you want to bend is usually wired. With a pair of pliers, pull the wire, on the wired branch, so there is a gap between the wire and branch. Thread one end of the u shaped wire, in the gap that you made with the pliers, all the way to the middle of the u shape. You should now have an upside down u shape, dangling from your wired branch. If you dont have a drainage hole or dead branch to tighten your wire around, use a screw or eye[ from hook and eye] and screw into the trunk but not in a visible part of the tree.[when removed this wound heals very quickly]. Place both loose ends of your u shape around the eye/ screw and twist together. Bend the branch down and keep twisting up the slack. This is a lot easier with two people, especially with larger trees. When the branch is in the required position, yuo can neaten up the two wires between the branch and the screw, by twisting them together with a small nail.

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:44 pm

thanks chaps. I guessed in the end and came up with pretty much what you described. I used a large root to anchor the guy line and put some mesh around the wire to prevent scarring. Never thought about using the drainaige holes. The size of the branch being bent isn't enough I think to cause the root to be pulled out of place.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:09 pm

bobby little wrote:thanks chaps. I guessed in the end and came up with pretty much what you described. I used a large root to anchor the guy line and put some mesh around the wire to prevent scarring. Never thought about using the drainaige holes. The size of the branch being bent isn't enough I think to cause the root to be pulled out of place.

It all depends on the caliber of the branch, but when you attach a guy wire to a root on one side, you may want to consider applying an additional guy wire on the other side of the tree to balance the force, so you are not tilting the tree.
If I plan to pull down only one heavier branch I usually use a tiebar (tierod).

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

anchoring for bending Empty what you're looking for...

Post  tuyhoabob Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:11 am

It's called a 'Spanish Windless'

Bob
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

anchoring for bending Empty did it this way.

Post  littleart-fx Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:13 am

i used aluminium tubes 8mm round you can buy these at the local hardware store
they bend but don't bend back!!!
screwed them on, for the rest normal technique's.
anchoring for bending Bendin10anchoring for bending Bendin11anchoring for bending Bendin12[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/14154418/39]anchoring for bending Bendin13]anchoring for bending Bendin14
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:21 pm

Turnbuckle
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:05 pm

I have discovered personally what others have written already. It's best to use a root or another branch to do this. That way there will be no stress on the posture of the tree.

I was doing this to one of my ficus and used the pot as the anchor. When I checked on it about a week later I discovered that aside from moving the branches (some) it also realigned the whole tree moving about an inch or so to the left.

Anchor the tree to itself.

Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down