Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lower branch

+2
Marty Weiser
jimib
6 posters

Go down

Lower branch  Empty Lower branch

Post  jimib Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:42 am

Looking for advice on what to do with the lower branch on this sand cherry...any thoughts? Lower branch  Img_3422
Lower branch  Img_3423
Lower branch  Img_3424

jimib

Back to top Go down

Lower branch  Empty Re: Lower branch

Post  Marty Weiser Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:19 pm

At the minimum cut it back hard at the right time for cut backs on this tree to see if it buds back. It is nearly as big as the trunk and will have ti be restrained while the rest of the tree develops if you use it as part of the design. I would wait to make that decision until after a repot to get a full view of the trunk line including the nebari.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:47 pm

I'd cut it at these 2 points to remove the long straight bit, and to start ramification of the tapered bit.  Do it in spring when the buds are swelling.

Lower branch  36775827520_68d978ab3aibvirt by BrendanR2012, on Flickr

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Actually, the yellow lines are where I'd be cutting as a minimum:

Lower branch  36359343433_673a042dc1ibvirt2 by BrendanR2012, on Flickr

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  jimib Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:26 am

Thanks for the replies.... exactly the advice I was looking for

jimib

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Cut it right off.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Mike wouldn't you be better off seeing what develops after a general reduction and back budding? I see at least 3 options here.

First, keep both the trunks. Second, keep just the vertical. Third, keep just the one that is the "low branch".

But I wouldn't choose until I had seen what develops after a few seasons of hard pruning and free growth?

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 pm

The time to choose is now. If kept it's too big for the rest of the tree unless you just leave it. Me,personally would just cut it off because I don't like the lack of taper and straightens and build a tree from the nice curvy upright part.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:43 pm

i agree with mike about it seeming too big for the rest of the tree (as the tree is now)...
and if i am not mistaken, if kept on, the trunk will only noticeably thicken from that point down...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 pm

kevin stoeveken wrote:i agree with mike about it seeming too big for the rest of the tree (as the tree is now)...
and if i am not mistaken, if kept on, the trunk will only noticeably thicken from that point down...
It's almost creating reverse taper now.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:40 pm

The  bark on the lower section of the trunk looks pretty good for this size ( +/- 3,5 cm above ground?)

Do you have any plan about the design of this tree?  In my oppinion this is a point to start with in case you do not have it.  As Marty said start with the nebari and follow the structure of main branches.  Just simple lines you do not need to be a Leonardo. Maybe there will be an option to use this branch that you find interesting pirat

The lower branch:
Keep it if it fits into your planned design of the tree.   For example it may be used if your target is a very specific ( not traditional ) shohin sized tree with some deadwood. To get there it would require some heavy bending, cutting the rest of the tree above this branch and converting the remains of the upper part into dead wood. Possibly some grafting if there is no backbudding. This is an option I can see based on your pics.  Lot of work? YES.  Specific skills required? No doubt.  

If  it doesn't fit into you design  - just get rid of it at the right time for this species and convert remains  into jin or a shari/uro.  At this moment it is far too big for a sacrifice branch.   I am with Mike and Kevin on this one.  

Btw
There seems to be some dead branches - if the colour on the first pic reflects the status correctly. If so they can go as soon as possible to allow more light for the rest.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  jimib Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:36 am

Thanks again for the additional advice... this is a much better forum than the other one I'm on. I've done nothing as of now...I'm going to end up cutting it off.. I found a new angle/front that I can utilize a branch and give the trunk some taper

jimib

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:48 am

One idea that I haven't been able to shift is this:

Lower branch  36528872133_fdfccc5c1a_b2017-09-20_09-39-53 by BrendanR2012, on Flickr

Aiming for this:

Lower branch  36944111020_699cc2abde_b2017-09-20_09-45-28 by BrendanR2012, on Flickr

That means keep the lower branch and lose the long straight boring trunk....

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  jimib Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks again for the advice. One more question... this is still in the nursery pot and soil I bought it in. My understanding is that chopping this up and repotting at the same time is a bad idea. I only paid $3.00 for it but I'm tired of killing trees and want to keep it alive. I'm guessing I shoould get this into some good substrate and the following year chop it up. Or will repotting and cutting a branch or two be ok?

jimib

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down