Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem.

3 posters

Go down

Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem. Empty Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem.

Post  shayc4 Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:23 am

Hi all,
I found black spots on 30-60% of my elms leaves.
I wanted to see if anyone here has successfully managed to cure a bonsai tree and how they did it.
Thanks for the help!
Shay

shayc4

Back to top Go down

Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem. Empty Re: Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem.

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:44 pm

sorry, but i dont believe anyone can help without pictures....

and anyone who claims they can would only be guessing Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem. Empty Indeed, sorry

Post  shayc4 Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:24 am

Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem. Img-2010
Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem. Img-2011
Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem. Img-2012

shayc4

Back to top Go down

Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem. Empty So far so good

Post  shayc4 Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:28 pm

There was no help here so I did some online research and the following steps have stopped the deterioration:
I removed heavily infected leaves. In any case left a few pairs on each branch. Also made sure I water only on the surface and kept leaves bone dry. All leaves from the surface were removed as well.
After a couple of weeks it seems to have stopped spreading and didn't lose any leaves. The black spots have turned pale orange and infected leaves stay green.
I'll treat for fungus at the end of winter and use the same safety measures I did so far.
Hope it will help someone in the future.
Cheer's
Shay

shayc4

Back to top Go down

Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem. Empty Re: Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem.

Post  BrendanR Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:01 am

If that elm had a dormant period where it loses its leaves then you should be fine for next season.

If it is evergreen I'd recommend a complete defoliation at some stage to get rid of the fungus and so that you can reduce the size of the leaves. The tree looks healthy and it should respond well to a defoliation?

Whatever way you go, make sure you gather all the fallen leaves and dispose of them so the fungal spores are removed from your garden as much as possible.

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Elm black spots. Need help solving this problem. Empty It is doing ok

Post  shayc4 Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:14 am

It will go into a dormant season soon and i'll dispose of all the leaves from it.
I also plan on applying fungicide during the winter and next spring.
Thanks for the reply,
Shay

shayc4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down