Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sumac - Rhus copallina 'Lanham's Purple'

2 posters

Go down

Sumac - Rhus copallina 'Lanham's Purple' Empty Sumac - Rhus copallina 'Lanham's Purple'

Post  Lost2301 Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 am

I have been working on a beautiful Purple leaved Sumac called Rhus copallina 'Lanham's Purple'. It has a very powerful trunk with great nebari. The tree was quite tall when I bought it and I thought it would make for a really great tall Literati tree. I potted the tree up in a Chuck Iker pot and left it alone all spring/summer/fall. I finally decided I would reduce the height of the tree before I put it away for the winter in the garage. The following photo was taken today and the tree is just starting to pop buds out everywhere. I did leave a 3" stub and thought I might jin it,, but it is budding out, so I am going to let the buds develop and see what happens with them. There is one slender jin that I might reduce as well, but for now it is staying. There is more info on the tree on my website, I am developing 4 different Sumac species. I have already posted one of my other Sumac, a Low Grow cascade.

Sumac - Rhus copallina 'Lanham's Purple' Img_1713

Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Sumac - Rhus copallina 'Lanham's Purple' Empty Re: Sumac - Rhus copallina 'Lanham's Purple'

Post  AlainK Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:27 am

A very interesting experience, Sumac are very rare in the bonsai world, and I didn't know this species.

I have a Rhus typhina "Tiger eyes" (and many suckers in the lawn!) and tried one, but it died one winter.

Very nice website too, with unusual trees for me like Fraxinus anomala.

Good luck with the Sumac Wink
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Sumac - Rhus copallina 'Lanham's Purple' Empty Re: Sumac - Rhus copallina 'Lanham's Purple'

Post  Lost2301 Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:31 am

Thank you for the nice compliment on the tree and my web site. I like unusual tree's and sumac's fit the bill. I keep looking at Tiger Eyes. I once had a Staghorn Sumac planted in the back of the border, it eventually decided to move to the front of the border on its own. This was way before my Bonsai days. Sadly it passed away. This was a nursery find in a whole bunch of these trees. It just takes patience's to find good nursery trees.
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:08 am

Here is a new photo of the tree. It has grown 2 new major branches and it now has moss on the soil. The tree is starting to flower no and the leaves surrounding the flowers have a purplish color to them now. More photo's are on my website HERE.

Sumac - Rhus copallina 'Lanham's Purple' Img_2010
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down