Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Junipers identification and advice needed

4 posters

Go down

Junipers identification and advice needed Empty Junipers identification and advice needed

Post  Vitusus Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:48 am

Hi there, I just "discovered" two junipers in my garden that I need to get out of the ground in order to make some space for some vegetables I want to grow there. I want to make these bonsai trees and I would like to have some opinions on them from the community here.

First is this one:

Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia11
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia10

It has the trunk of some 5 cm wide at the base and total height is like 45 - 50 cm. I like the base quite a lot, however I would like your opinions as what variety this is and if it is suitable to transform to bonsai.

Second one:

Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia13
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia12

This is a two-trunk, also about 50 cm high I am not convinced that I will want to use both trunks, as I don't like the one to the left too much, but same questions, variety and suitability?

Any suggestions for shape and size of pots for these two?

Thanks a lot.

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Junipers identification and advice needed Empty Re: Junipers identification and advice needed

Post  Vance Wood Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 pm

These are not Junipers they are False Cypress; Chamacypress of several species. If you are going to move them move them now.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Junipers identification and advice needed Empty Re: Junipers identification and advice needed

Post  Vitusus Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:16 pm

Vance Wood wrote:These are not Junipers they are False Cypress;   Chamacypress  of several species.  If you are going to move them move them now.

Thank you very much for identification and advice, I plan tu dig them up during the weekend, I am excited to see what the actually look like, there are too many visually disturbing things around them that annoy me when I study them.

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Post  Vitusus Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Hello everyone,

So I dug up the first one today and here is what it looked like:

Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia15
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia14

The white-looking roots are actually some weeds and I removed them all. Even so it had quite weird looking root system and I pruned a good part of the roots, hopefully I was not too aggressive, we'll see. I forgot to take picture of the final root system.

Here is how the tree looks now in the pot, I pruned a bit of foliage from the top which looked too heavy to me and still does, but I don't want to take off too much of the green.

Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia17
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia16

Any tips on styling of this? I have two variants in my head so far, one as a two-trunk and the other turning one of the trunks into a deadwood.

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:54 am

I wouldn't worry about styling just yet.
It's going to need time to recover. Like a year or more.
It looks like you bare rooted it.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:11 pm

M. Frary wrote: I wouldn't worry about styling just yet.
It's going to need time to recover. Like a year or more.
It looks like you bare rooted it.

I agree, give them time. Then you can work on some sort of design work. Look for the single best feature.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vitusus Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Thank you for the suggestions, indeed I intend not to touch it for the whole growing season, I know it has to recover, I just wanted some first opinions on what you like, what you don't, what you see as potential etc.

Anyway, second one dug up yesterday, here are the pictures:

This is how it looked when I got it out of the ground:
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia22
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia21

I worked on the roots as they were really entangled and I wanted to sort them out a bit in order to start some good flat radial root base:
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia19

And then, in order to balance the root mass with the upper part, I also reduced some of the foliage and cut off one major branch and the top which I will not want to use in the design.
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia20
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehlia18

Now it will stay as it is for the whole season to recover from this operation and I will start thinking about some styling for the winter. Any initial suggestions on this?

Thanks

Vitusus

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:22 am

If the tree survive this year count yourself fortunate and you would be smart to not make plans to do any styling work well into the middle of next season. From what I can see your treatment of the root system was pretty brutal.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vitusus Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:21 am

Junipers identification and advice needed Jehliu10
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehliu11
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehliu12
Junipers identification and advice needed Jehliu13

I repotted this false cypress recently after 3 years in the container, also gave it some initial styling of the bottom branches. Looks promising, I like the trunk.

Vitusus

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sat May 16, 2020 2:03 pm

Hey man, what a promissing look. Keep going you on the right path. Nice trunk movement. Take care of every single branch. In few years will look great. I never try fals cypres tree. I have two Ch. Gracilis Nana . One digg 2 years ago astablished well and second still in open ground. I always loved Nana gracilis hope will keep them alive.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down