Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation

+2
David Brunner
Gary Swiech
6 posters

Go down

Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation Empty Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation

Post  Gary Swiech Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:39 pm

A Horticulturist by trade and Bonsai enthusiast since 1975, I have never seen this plant before and hope someone can identify it.

• Leaves, simple, 3 lobed

• Stem, tomentose (hairy),

• Branching, alternate Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation Img_1010
Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation Img_0910
Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation Img_1011
Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation Img_1012
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation Empty Re: Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation

Post  David Brunner Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:50 pm

Hello Gary - have you looked into Rubus?  Rubus odoratus and Rubus parviflorus both have simple alternate leaves on pubescent stems.  They generally have five-lobed leaves instead of three-lobed, but I do see a couple of the leaves on your plant which are five-lobed or nearly so.  Of course this would be much easier if you had flowers.  

David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation Empty Re: Horticulturist (Me) needs strange plant identifcation

Post  M. Frary Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Raspberry.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks guys but I have Rubus odoratus and Rubus parviflorus growing in the back of my yard. The leaves are not as hairy on this plant.

The Arbor day foundation sent me a bunch of seedling in the Spring and this was one of them. I'll have to give them a call when I get a chance. It's supposed to be a tree of some sort.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:38 pm

Its a rare day when the identity of a tree stumps Gary. And it stumps me too. I'm thinking something like a member of the Virginia creeper / Boston ivy family, but not either one of those species.

There is a Viburnum with maple like leaves, Viburnum acerifolium, but it has an opposite leaf pattern, not alternating. So it ''ain't no viburnum'.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:28 pm

I sent the photos to the Arbor Day Foundation, the source of the plant and they don't even know what it is! Still searching.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:00 am

I think it is a type of Hibiscus, but don,t know which one, there are hundreds of Hibiscus species.

Love and Light
Andre
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:03 am

Also called Mallows....
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:56 pm

By golly you may have hit the jackpot Andre!

They are not cold hardy where I live but I did put them in my Winter Bonsai House so it should survive.

I'll do some checking.

We used to grow Hibiscus in the Chicago area when I lived there.

Thanks Andre B.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:23 pm

It is not a Hibiscus.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 am

Why don't you post a message on the UBC?

There's a section "Plants: Identification" and I'm sure you'll get the answer there:

http://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/plants-identification.38/
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Another Mallow.... Abutilon?

How did you misclassify it as Hibiscus? Would be interesting to know.

Love and Light
Andre

Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down