Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves

+2
Tom
yamasuri
6 posters

Go down

Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves  Empty Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves

Post  yamasuri Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:45 pm

I just noticed spots on my crab apple leaves.From the top looks like yellow circle. From the bottom like spikes? Pests? Fungus? Never seen such thing. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves  Img_1411
Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves  Img_1412
Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves  Img_1413
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves  Empty Re: Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves

Post  Tom Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:59 pm

I think it's a gall, potentially caused by Cedar Apple Rust.
http://blog.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/plant-disease/cedar-apple-rust/
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves  Empty Re: Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves

Post  coh Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:37 pm

Looks like what I had on my pear last summer:

Questions about pear rust
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:54 pm

Thank you so much Tom and Chris. It's clear enough. Can I use Bordo or has to be Bonide?
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Just remove and destroy the leaf or leaves.

A spraying with lime sulfur in late spring will help reduce the likelihood of infection. Keep the tree a long way away from junipers (but if they grow all around you like here, you just learn to live with it).

Cedar apple rust (and other rusts of members of the rose family) isn't a serious problem. Just destroy affected leaves.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:52 am

Thanks Jim. I just burn all affected leafs. Will give lime sulfur spray soon.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:36 am

I had this several years ago on a crab apple...it sure looks malignant!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Strange "thing" on my crab apple leaves  Empty Strange thing on crabapple

Post  bonsaisr Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:51 am

Those things sticking out are spores. They will infect junipers. The year after next, the junipers will infect apples.
Lime sulphur will do nothing at this stage. In the winter, spray with lime sulphur or dormant oil. For next year, ask your extension agent for the spraying schedule.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:37 am

Thank you Iris. Such annoying thing this galls.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down