Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about light requirements

3 posters

Go down

Questions about light requirements Empty Questions about light requirements

Post  Fiore Falinesti Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:57 pm

In the fall I'm moving into an apartment that has a small area outside where I can finally do some outdoor gardening! Growing plants indoors comes with some challenges.
Anyway, I was doing some research as to what I could plant when I realized that I don't really know what kind of light the area gets. That got me thinking.

So my questions is this: If a plant needs 'partial sun' or 'shade' when it's planted, is that because it has a limit to how much light it needs? Or does it have to do with the infrared portion of sunlight heating the plant up and drying it out? Or something with the UV portion? (I saw one post saying that deciduous plants are effected by UV changes through the seasons?)

I can't seem to find much about this online, but if anyone has any knowledge about indoor vs. outdoor lighting, or the specifics of light requirements that would be really helpful!
Fiore Falinesti
Fiore Falinesti

Back to top Go down

Questions about light requirements Empty Re: Questions about light requirements

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:27 pm

my first thought was to reply that the question(s) would be easier to answer if the plant species were known...
but my second thought was that there may be something more to learn beyond specific plant needs

i think i thought i knew why certain plants need anywhere from full sun to full shade, but maybe i dont... scratch

but in specific regards to your new locale, do you know which way the outside area faces (sorry for the obvious question)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Questions about light requirements Empty I asked the same thing

Post  Wander Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Read this. I think it might help you refine the question you want to ask.
http://www.magiminiland.org/OtherArchived/HowTreesAdapt.pdf

Seriously.....it might be the best bonsai information you ever read.

Wander

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiore Falinesti Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:02 pm

Wander wrote:Read this.  I think it might help you refine the question you want to ask.  
http://www.magiminiland.org/OtherArchived/HowTreesAdapt.pdf

Seriously.....it might be the best bonsai information you ever read.

Awesome! Thanks so much! I'll read through it more this weekend
Fiore Falinesti
Fiore Falinesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down