Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonllwyn auction Larch.

+7
CraftyTanuki
Poink88
Jake16
Fuzzy
Nik Rozman
Jeremy
Smithy
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bonllwyn auction Larch. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonllwyn auction Larch.

Post  marcus watts Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:59 am

hi m8,

nice to see a tree from an early post popping back up.. I see one simple change needed, thats all - apex moved towards us rather than up or sideways. It will give the tree the needed depth and invite the viewer into the tree.

Spiralling sharis? no not for me as a tree needs a believable story and nothing on this tree would ever suggest spiralling dead wood - wind lashed mountain pines and junipers may spiral, but branches, foliage and trunk should match each other - and larch branches are flatter and have straight line angled twigs so an off center straight line shari that joins up jins looks most natural for me.

There is so little needs doing on the tree I'd find something more challenging for Burrrs so you can totally style a piece of material rather than just tweak one a bit (unless you take a few up). Are you going to the Wales event August Bank Holiday?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks Marcus ,
Yes i am going to the Welsh do , probably on the Monday.
i intend to tale a few trees with me to Burrs. none with massive carving projects or massive amounts of work. I intend to do a lot of listening and watching to take back with me as i will be spending the next couple of years alone in my shed. I don't want to spend all of Burrs with my head down in my own little world on one of my trees.

Yes the spiral was done more of a try out when i was just having a go at carving. I kinda like it so it has stayed. Never done one since Very Happy
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:39 am

I had a little tweak with the top while i'm waiting for the rain to stop and i can go to work.Very little the tweak was .

Bonllwyn auction Larch. - Page 2 015-19

Bonllwyn auction Larch. - Page 2 016-7

Bonllwyn auction Larch. - Page 2 017-12
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Loke Emil Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Smithy

having followed this post, I would have to agree with what Marcus says about getting the apex more towards the viewer, if any changes are to be made...otherwise I see no need to seek any further styling help: I really like your own ideas/talent. There is a very nice natural feel to this larch now, which I have to say is quite attractive. The heavy slant together with the heavily bent apex does add drama. If you were to raise the trunk a bit more upright (as you mentioned earlier on), I think this drama would disappear - and the tree wouldn't have the touch of uniqueness any more (well, just my opinion, I know)

cheers
/Loke Emil
Loke Emil
Loke Emil

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:10 am

Marcus,

Do you think a tree always has to have a story? It cant just be a nice looking piece of "artwork"? (not being mean just wondering what your opinion is)
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Jake16 wrote:Marcus,

Do you think a tree always has to have a story? It cant just be a nice looking piece of "artwork"? (not being mean just wondering what your opinion is)

hi, thats ok, good question

i think a good tree needs to have all the key elements gelling together - then the image becomes harmonious and the viewer can appreciate that the trunk has a realistic relationship with the branches, and both are strengthened further by complementry foliage. You only need to see a poor example to instantly get the feeling that something isnt right with the total image, where-as looking at a balanced tree is a pleasing and relaxing thing to do.

Species comes into play a little bit as junipers work very well as a stylized art piece - but even within junipers they need to be styled properly to create the balance. I was given some excelent advice earlier in the year from Peter Tea/Mr Tanaka regarding juniper styling to help make a good tree rather than a poor one. The pointed needle foliage of J. rigida is best styled with flatter, thinner, sharper pads and the dead wood is styled with sharp spikey jins and angles - all key elements of the species are then complimentary. In total opposite the soft foliage of a shimpaku is styled with rounded, deeper curved pads and the deadwood is styled with flowing curves,smooth veins and softer carving - once again the elements are in harmony with each other and the overall image works properly. This is missed by many juniper owners (I had not ever considered this level of detail before) and it is very common to see junipers with needle foliage in sweeping curves and big mounds of rounded pads - but it goes to explain why they dont look as good as they could.

to style a tree with a mixed up pot of bits - some spiraling, some straight, some rounded and some angular is ok if thats what you want to do for the sake of art or practice, but often the greater potential of the material is not achieved unless you can find this harmony point.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks Marcus,

It makes since
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:37 am

Loke Emil wrote:Hi Smithy

having followed this post, I would have to agree with what Marcus says about getting the apex more towards the viewer, if any changes are to be made...otherwise I see no need to seek any further styling help: I really like your own ideas/talent. There is a very nice natural feel to this larch now, which I have to say is quite attractive. The heavy slant together with the heavily bent apex does add drama. If you were to raise the trunk a bit more upright (as you mentioned earlier on), I think this drama would disappear - and the tree wouldn't have the touch of uniqueness any more (well, just my opinion, I know)

cheers
/Loke Emil

Thanks Loke for the words of encouragement .
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:39 am

Ive had a little play with the apex

Bonllwyn auction Larch. - Page 2 005-28
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:48 am

I do wonder whether this one would be better.

I've come back and edited this post as i don't think this will work and i'm quite happy for a while with the way it looks.
Bonllwyn auction Larch. - Page 2 005-28-2

Last edited by Smithy on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:23 am

Here is my tree in place .

Bonllwyn auction Larch. - Page 2 009-26

Bonllwyn auction Larch. - Page 2 015-20
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:32 am

Yes this is it Smithy. Apex towards you. Looks great for me. Good work BTW nice collection of bonsais too.
Regards Vlad
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:42 pm

job done m8.....now for a butch manly pot ! Laughing Twisted Evil
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks Vlad and Marcus.

About my girly pot Very Happy
I wanted a new pot at the beginning of the year and tried to get one at Swindon show. I was looking for something organic ,primitive i think they call them. I couldn't find what i wanted and bought this one . It wasn't right for it but i put it in any way .

Any one got any suggestions with virts i would be very happy.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Great thread, I like how everyone came together and you were able to get the apex right. Looks much better in. My mind, you must be happy.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Fri May 03, 2013 5:42 pm

I 've been looking at the old threads i started and this was started in 2009 , it was the first time i had bought any bonsai material . Its good to see how it has progressed.

Bonllwyn auction Larch. - Page 2 021-2_zps6a869b80
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2