Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginner - Acacia Burkei - HELP!

4 posters

Go down

Beginner - Acacia Burkei - HELP! Empty Beginner - Acacia Burkei - HELP!

Post  Guest Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:03 am

Yesterday I bought a starter kit at a local nursery, it contained the correct soil, a pot, potting instructions and a Acacia Burkei ( Black Monkey Thorn ).
I've read articles up to my ears, but still have a lot of questions. It is currently on a table by a window in order for it to get enough sun and it is also on a stand that allows the water to drain without the pot sitting in the water. I'm in South Africa. Now for the questions, did I put it in the right spot? How often should i water it and how much water? I'm not concerned about wiring and shaping now since the tree is still young, but I would appreciate tips that I can use later on when the tree is ready. I'm going to a beginner's workshop late in May so there I will be able to learn the basics. Should I trim it now or wait 'till the workshop?

Thank you, I've attached a picture of the bonsai. Very HappyBeginner - Acacia Burkei - HELP! Bonsai10

Back to top Go down

Beginner - Acacia Burkei - HELP! Empty Re: Beginner - Acacia Burkei - HELP!

Post  Bonsai Jay Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:16 am

I can only offer newbie advice by mentioning things I found out by my own mistakes made, obviously as you live in Africa and I in Scotland you'll need to consider habitat conditions differing between our parts of the world.
Anyway heres what ive learned thus far-
1. Windows can act like a magnifying glass when direct sunlight hits your tree exposing a much stronger beam that can burn your plant.
2. When watering, a squirt spray is useful for watering the tree but not sufficient in penetrating the top soil to provide water for the roots. Use a gentle pour to soil, and spray for plant.
3. Pay close attention to plant feed instructions, especially if liquid feed, as failure to dilute properly can actually burn the roots and kill your tree.
4. Know the seasonal requirements of your tree, temperature needs, humidity and light exposure. Some tree do not cope with long periods of direct sunlight and likewise others require it.
5. Keep dated records of your trees age & growth as Bonsai eventually require re-potting.

Hope this help you avoid some of my screw ups thumbs up
Bonsai Jay
Bonsai Jay

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:57 am

You guys are making this too easy!
Put the tree outside!

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  fredman1 Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:53 am

Yep definitely outside. They are sun lovers and will die a slow and lonely death inside. That thing needs to grow. Put it somewhere so it gets at least 6 hrs sun. Shade it from the afternoon for now while its young. Check the watering so it don't dry out or stay to wet. Use a dowel stick to see how wet the soil is down the pot.
Winter is coming and it will loose its leaves. Don't let it stay to wet when it has no leaves. Use this winter to learn as much you can about bonsai and the proper care for it... Wink

fredman1

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:01 am

Thanks guys, I'll look for a spot outside this afternoon Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  J J Lombard Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Good day.

Were in South Africa are you living. Your tree is still young and the winter is coming closer. If you receive frost you must put it away in the night, it will die back. You must also start looking after the water, do not give as must as in the summer it can die of to must water. The best is go to someone near you and get as much info from him/her, because almost every one have an Acacia in there collection in South Africa.

Greetings.

J J Lombard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:34 pm

I'm in Gauteng, Pretoria. I'll be sure to bring it in at nights once the winter is here, thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  J J Lombard Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Hello

You can,t ask for better teacher,s than in Pretoria. There is a bonsai club (http://www.pretoriabonsaikai.org/) whit monthly meetings on the first Saturday of the month. One of the best bonsai teachers is also a member there CHARLES CERONIO.

Good LUCK with your tree.

J J Lombard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down