Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The IBC Mugo Train

+5
AlainK
JimLewis
LanceMac10
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
M. Frary
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 Empty Re: The IBC Mugo Train

Post  Leo Schordje Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:50 am

My ticket to ride the Mugo train. I picked this tree up at the August Milwaukee Bonsai Soc, Swap Meet. Got it from another member who had been working on it for 2 or 3 years. I have done nothing with it yet. Except water it and keep it in full sun.

I'll take a serious look at it next summer. Unless I get the urge to trim out downward needles and wire it sometime over the winter.

The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 Img_2010
 The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 Img_2011
 The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 Img_2012

Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Leo Schordje wrote:My ticket to ride the Mugo train. I picked this tree up at the August Milwaukee Bonsai Soc, Swap Meet. Got it from another member who had been working on it for 2 or 3 years. I have done nothing with it yet. Except water it and keep it in full sun.

I'll take a serious look at it next summer. Unless I get the urge to trim out downward needles and wire it sometime over the winter.

The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 Img_2010
 The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 Img_2011
 The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 Img_2012

It is potentially good tree and of course you are entitled to do with it as you see fit but; there is a major flaw with this tree and I think you probably see it.  The first branch  is almost as large as the trunk, If the tree were mine that would be my first major project,to remove this puppy come next summer.  Of course with all Mugos you stubb the branch to limit die back.  It is better to have a jin than a major die back to the ground. If you look at the second picture you have a pretty nice bonsai starting right there if you are able to bring that apical branch up a bit more and compact the rest of the foliage.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi Vance - Thanks!

The tree was repotted early in 2015 according to the previous owner, so I left it alone to recover, and get a feel for how vigorous or weak this one it. It was pruned several times by the previous owner, including sometime in 2015. So a little time off from being worked on is likely best for this one. I like your suggestion, that first branch is too thick, too bare, and too straight.

I will follow your suggestion.

It has one other major flaw that I'd like your help on.

Feeling around the nebari, the trunk branches into just 2 major roots, that go some distance in the pot without subdividing. Will new surface roots to make a nebari, develop on their own with time? Do I need to ground layer this? What would you do?

Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Leo Schordje wrote:Hi Vance - Thanks!

The tree was repotted early in 2015 according to the previous owner, so I left it alone to recover, and get a feel for how vigorous or weak this one it. It was pruned several times by the previous owner, including sometime in 2015. So a little time off from being worked on is likely best for this one. I like your suggestion, that first branch is too thick, too bare, and too straight.

I will follow your suggestion.

It has one other major flaw that I'd like your help on.

Feeling around the nebari, the trunk branches into just 2 major roots, that go some distance in the pot without subdividing. Will new surface roots to make a nebari, develop on their own with time? Do I need to ground layer this? What would you do?

Yes in time new roots will develop Mugos are notoriously shallow rooted though you probably will never hear that bit of information.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:53 pm

Vance Wood wrote:Mugos are notoriously shallow rooted though you probably will never hear that bit of information.  

thats why you are the conductor on this loco loco...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:09 am

Some time in a colander will help develop better roots. Why do you think Vance invented his growboxes? Not for ficus roots I'd wager.
  Mine is called Mitchs mini if I remember Vance. It looks just the same as when I bought it. Except for backbudding. It did a little of that all on its own,with no help from me.
  Remember,we discussed cutting the top leader off and a couple branches. I got it when I was down for the show last time.
Ain't the train ride fun?
Thanks to Vance for sharing all of his hard earned knowledge.
Now,I know there are more members here with these trees.
So quit your lurking and get them on the train. That's what its for.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:26 pm

M. Frary wrote:  Mine is called Mitchs mini if I remember Vance.

at one point i think vance referred to mine as "B&B" which i know does not stand for bed & breakfast...
i wonder what type mine is... scratch

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:45 pm

beer city snake wrote:
M. Frary wrote:  Mine is called Mitchs mini if I remember Vance.

at one point i think vance referred to mine as "B&B" which i know does not stand for bed & breakfast...
i wonder what type mine is... scratch

B&B; Balled in Burlap. I include this in the list because it is a way these trees are sometimes found and they have their own set of problems. The trees are cultivated in a soil that has a very high percentage of clay because it holds together well when the tree is wraped in burlap for distribution to garden centers. As some point this issue has to be delt with by totally removing all of the old soil over time.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:55 pm

ahhh... i see...

thanks for clarifying.

my plan was only gradual soil exchange over time as i believe that may be best for pines in general.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Orlando0341 Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:12 pm

I jump on board.

Here is a picture of a Mugo i have, and i have a question about it. I bougt it with twisted needles, i was wondering if it's a Cultivar with twisted needles. Or is there someting wrong with it. This year i redused watering. Thinking i might overdue it and thats why the needles are curling.  It's growing fine, no problems whatsoever.

Cheers
 The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 P1020812
 The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 P1020813
Orlando0341
Orlando0341

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Many Mugos are reported to have twisted needles, the Mugus cultivar seems to have this trait more than others.  To the best of my knowledge there is nothing wrong with the tree.  I like it.

I don't know how much you have been watering the tree but Mugos like more water than most Pine species.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Orlando0341 Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:21 pm

nice to hear it's healthy,thank you.

cheers
Orlando0341
Orlando0341

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks Orlando. Nice mugo!

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:58 pm

DITTO !
i think those twisty needles are a nice feature on a nice tree.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Orlando0341 Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks for the compliments. Hope to see more Mugo joining the ride.

Orlando0341
Orlando0341

Back to top Go down

The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 Empty ten dollar nursery mugo

Post  curts83 Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:17 am

The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 20151010

curts83

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:25 pm

i dont know where zanesville is in oHIo, but it looks like you are enjoying this el nino weather with some late season work !
i'm sure all us passengers are looking forward to seeing where this one is going...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  curts83 Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:22 pm

I am an hour east of Columbus. And you are right about the weather it's 71 today. that picture was from October I have an updated one I will post when I get home. I need some suggestions on what to do next.

curts83

Back to top Go down

Post  curts83 Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:32 pm

The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 Mugo12

curts83

Back to top Go down

Post  curts83 Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:37 pm

The IBC Mugo Train - Page 2 Mugo_210

not sure why it posted sideways but this was all I had the nerve to cut off before winter. I think the first pic might be the front but im not sure. Any input is welcome and appreciated. I still have a long way to go.

curts83

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Curts83 - I drove past Zanesville several times on the way to the Dawes Arboretum. Lots of billboards for antique shops along I-70. Have friends in Columbus, I get there often and the Arboretum was one of our regular day trips. The Dawes' bonsai collection is small, but nice to see. They could really use a bonsai professional to do some major restyling of their trees, but many of the trees are quite old. Nice to see. I realize I am spoiled by the bonsai collection at the Chicago Botanic Garden.

I wouldn't do anything more to your nice mugo until next summer, as Lance recommends, wait until after Father's Day. Late June. Looks like there is a nice nebari hidden in there. It will be fun to see what you do with this tree.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  curts83 Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks Leo, I enjoy going to Dawes as well. The collection there seems to be getting smaller I think which is dissapointing. There just aren't many people in this area interested unfortunately. As for the antique shops you are right they seem to be on every corner. Thanks for the advice I'm not doing any more work for a while that's for sure.

curts83

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2