Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my new nursery mugo

+4
Leo Schordje
Khaimraj Seepersad
M. Frary
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

my new nursery mugo - Page 2 Empty Re: my new nursery mugo

Post  Vance Wood Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:15 pm

beer city snake wrote:so vance - you say putting it in a box would be something for a couple years from now, but i can start branch removal next season...

i cannot keep it where i plopped it in the garden for more than this winter and spring.

it is extremely vigorous seeming and as with alexandra's, it had evidence of an abundance of michrorizal (sp?) fungi.
i am also lucky that the root ball did not seem to have much clay to it...

after the 2016 summer solstice, and if i can avoid tooooo much root work, do you reckon i would be safe getting it into a box or large pot and then proceed with some branch removal (no more than half) for the 2016 season ?

(i wanted to pose that question in the mugo train thread, but after the replies to this thread, i kept it here)

Then I would build the box now and put it in the box.  I was just saying on the side of not pressuring you to do anything you are not ready to do.

I can't find the Mugo train thread???
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:50 pm

i am pretty much ready to do what i can safely do...
so getting it out of most of the nursery soil and repotting it would be OK at this time of year ?
then back to the garden for winter or would garage shelter be better ?

and thanks very much for the advice !!!

Vance Wood wrote:I can't find the Mugo train thread???

its under the "bonsai questions" section
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:33 pm

beer city snake wrote:i am pretty much ready to do what i can safely do...
so getting it out of most of the nursery soil and repotting it would be OK at this time of year ?

and thanks very much for the advice !!!

Vance Wood wrote:I can't find the Mugo train thread???

its under the "bonsai questions"  section

I found it, thank you
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:48 pm

Bonsoir tout le monde,

beer city snake wrote:
[...]getting it out of most of the nursery soil and repotting it would be OK at this time of year ?

That's a very interesting question: I read that mugo pines can best repotted in August. What"s your experience?... Vance, "abcd" ( Rolling Eyes ), ...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:57 pm

I usually don't start repotting until after the summer solstice, August is fine. You will however, or at least people used to, complain about summer repotting. I have found over the years that this works best with them but still you should avoid bare rooting.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:00 pm

ThumbsUp
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:13 pm

Hello everybody!
AlainK wrote:Bonsoir tout le monde,
... ...I read that mugo pines can best repotted in August. What"s your experience?... Vance, "abcd" ( Rolling Eyes ), ...
Alain, here in Athens (hot, dry summers) repotting in June (18/06/2013) didn't work. The tree died soon after... It was not a mugo pine but a grafted sylvestris.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:39 am

my nellie wrote:Hello everybody!
AlainK wrote:Bonsoir tout le monde,
...  ...I read that mugo pines can best repotted in August. What"s your experience?... Vance, "abcd" ( Rolling Eyes ), ...
Alain, here in Athens (hot, dry summers) repotting in June (18/06/2013) didn't work. The tree died soon after... It was not a mugo pine but a grafted sylvestris.

I don't remember you giving a precise date of 18/06/2013 when we spoke sometime last year.  In my experience that seems too early, I wait till after the June 21 summer solstice.  Or---you can try in early spring just as the buds start to change color, that seems to be the standard time growers in Europe use.  If neither of those work then one of two things are likely taking place:  One, you are doing something wrong, or Two, any tree that is grafted falls outside of my expertise, I do not use them because I have never found one amongst the trees I cultivate.  Having said that, a graft makes the tree neither one or the other, but an individual with it's own set of rules.  If the tree is sold for the landscape trade then it sure should be able to be cultivated as a bonsai.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:25 am

Hello, Mr. Wood!
I am really surprised and honored that you remember me and my experiment tree and all the conversation on the other forum, Sir!
Vance Wood wrote:I don't remember you giving a precise date of 18/06/2013 when we spoke sometime last year.  
- Yes, indeed. I have looked for the exact date checking the properties of relative photos in order to be precise.

In my experience that seems too early, I wait till after the June 21 summer solstice.  Or---you can try in early spring just as the buds start to change color, that seems to be the standard time growers in Europe use.  
- I also believe that early spring is best/standard time for southern Europe/Mediterranean. Probably something was done wrong, too. But I am not that knowledgeable to distinguish which. I believe I have followed the instruction, though.

If neither of those work then one of two things are likely taking place:  One, you are doing something wrong, or Two, any tree that is grafted falls outside of my expertise, I do not use them because I have never found one amongst the trees I cultivate.  Having said that, a graft makes the tree neither one or the other, but an individual with it's own set of rules.  
- And I remember your reference to the fact that the tree was grafted.
I also believe that taking into account just temperature, which is what I did, is not enough. One should consider also the humidity/dryness, altitude and other factors in order to come to a more or less true conclusion/decision regarding cultivation.

If the tree is sold for the landscape trade then it sure should be able to be cultivated as a bonsai.
- In Greece one can only find landscape material. Nothing else!
Thank you for your time and comments!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2